Ford 3000 leaking at PTO gear lever

/ Ford 3000 leaking at PTO gear lever #1  

Laneman

Bronze Member
I just bought a nice 3000 today for $4200, looks like new. Everything is tight and shows no signs of wear. Couple of questions. There's a drip that appears to be where the pto lever goes into the left side of tranny. How hard is that seal to change? Other minor things I could use some help with:

1)No parking brake? Drove a different 3000 that had one by the brake pedal.
Vertical muffler sits loosely on exhaust manifold, you can lift it right out by hand. Seller said it's made that way? Seems like it should have a clamp.

2)Steering seems really tight, it's hard to turn the wheel. No power steering but neither did the other 3000 I drove today; it was much easier to turn. Can I add power steering to this one?

/ Ford 3000 leaking at PTO gear lever #2  
Hi Laneman,

Did you manage to get an answer to any of your questions?

In particular, I am interested in how to replace the o-ring seal for the PTO selector shaft. I had found a picture somewhere on the 'net showing the parts and the o-ring, but can't find it now. It looked like the selector shaft has to be taken out from the inside, remove the o-ring from the outside, insert new o-ring from outside and then refit the selector shaft. The trouble is, there are no instructions as to which cover to remove to get at the inside to remove the selector shaft. My concern in taking off the side plate through which the selector shaft passes is that oil will spill out everywhere. And the plate on top looks way too complicated to be the preferred mode of access.

Regarding the hand brake, mine (in AUS) has one on the LHS of the seat.

My exhaust is tight. I haven't looked but common sense says that it should be clamped.

Steering could be heavy as a result of low tyre pressures or the style of tyre. Industrial tyres are similar to truck tyres, have a greater contact patch and thereby harder to turn. No idea about adding PS.

Regards,
Rick
If you or anyone else can provide guidance, that would be appreciated.

/ Ford 3000 leaking at PTO gear lever #3  
check that muffler.. might be the wrong one or have no clamp.

parking brake was onthe brit models.

hit cnh website to get the parts breakdown for your pto shifter.. might not hurt actually owing h a service manual.. even if it is the cheap fo? 31 ( i think ) from tractor supply ).

can you add power steering? sure.. how fast is your wallet?

aside from that.. lets look at the manual steering.

does it steer easier to one side than the other?

does the steering wheel rise and fall in and out of the steering column maybee even 1/4" "

if tight but no or lil drop.. someone may have adjusted the sector adjustments too tight to take up slop.. but that slop may have been thrust paly.. and thus didn't do a whole lot to help but make steering tight.

if there is excessive up/down thrust paly, the upper bearing is usually gone.. and this makes for stiff steering.

there could be other causes like worn spindle bushing putting things ina bind.. bad hubs.. etc.. etc.

them manual ford boxes are easy to rebuild..

post back.