Power steering needed for a 3000

/ Power steering needed for a 3000 #1  

Laneman

Bronze Member
Anyone find a low cost source for power steering kits that will fit a diesel 3000 with loader? Used is ok, just on a tight budget.

/ Power steering needed for a 3000 #2  
budget? like 1000$ or 1500$ or? lower.

if lower.. then imight try to strip the all involved parts from a junker..

soudnguy

/ Power steering needed for a 3000 #3  
you wont find one for less than 1500 even from a salvage yard thaat will fit on there with a loader

/ Power steering needed for a 3000 #4  
I have an early 3000 with the external cylinders. The pump is gear driven off the crank timing gear. It would be a big deal to convert to this type system. Mine is completely out of action with bad cylinders and a pump that won't hold a shaft seal. I'm not sure that $1,500 would get my P/S back in shape again. All the parts are heck for expen$ive.

A question I have is: was the power steering on the later 3000's in the steering gear box like a later model car as opposed to the external cylinders? If so, you would be much better served changing to this system.

/ Power steering needed for a 3000 #5  
no all 3000's have external cylinders u have to get to a 4000 series tractor to have a orbit motor steering system

/ Power steering needed for a 3000 #7  
I was just looking on ebay for P/S parts and found two entire conversion kits for 3000's including pump, linkage, cylinders, hoses, etal. One of them was under $400 Buy it Now price.

Go to ebay and search: Ford 3000 Power Steering

/ Power steering needed for a 3000
$400 is a good price for the entire steering kit, but still a little high for my limited budget. The design from the Kubota forum runs around $250 for the parts and uses power from the 3PH system. It needs around 1.5 GPM to run. The spec for a 3000 says the system has 5 GPM available so I think I can borrow 1.5 without a problem.

/ Power steering needed for a 3000 #9  
I've had my factory p/s equipped Ford 3000 for almost 24 years. The p/s has been a source of headaches and expense for all that time. To put it in top shape with replacement parts would probably be a $1,500 proposition. That said, less than $400 seemed like a steal of a bargain to me.

/ Power steering needed for a 3000 #10  
Search for member BOSTONRATS, Power steering in 90 minutes, seems a neat solution but I imagine it costs more than $400.