Embarrassing Question

/ Embarrassing Question #1  

MBDiagMan

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 5045D, Grasshopper 61" with PowerVac,Gator 825i, Cub Cadet 2145
I have a Ford 3000 that I haven't run in awhile. The engine locked up and I had to pull the injectors and pour brake fluid in the cylinders to get it freed up. I've got it free and everything back together. I've got it primed all the way through the pumps, but can't get fuel to dribble at the loosened injector lines.

My ebarassing question is that I forgot which way the shutoff cable should be to start it. Should it be pushed in to start or pulled out? I think it is pulled out to start.

Maybe this is the beginning of Alzheimers.

Thanks for your help and please don't get on my case too much. I'm just a forgetful old man.

/ Embarrassing Question
Thanks a bunch jb! I recharged the battery overnight so I'll go out right now and see if I can light it off.

/ Embarrassing Question #4  
Let us know how it goes... ;)

/ Embarrassing Question
Well, I still haven't gotten it started yet. I got fuel on all three injector lines and cinched them down, but it still won't start. I thought I heard it hit once, but maybe it wasn't actually happening. Have yet to see smoke either.

Now, I have trouble with the starter staying engaged after I turn off the key. The battery charge was still marginal so I have yet to be able to spin it real fast. I have the charger on it now, but may have to pull the starter and free up the solenoid.

The next step will be pulling it to start it. If that won't work, I'll pull the injectors and connect them to the lines upside down to make sure they're squirting. Might have to clean them.

Thanks for the help and the interest.

/ Embarrassing Question #6  
Make sure there is actually power at the fuel shut-off solenoid.

/ Embarrassing Question
Thanks for the response barbq.

This tractor only has a manual, cable fuel shutoff. About the only thing electrical on this old girl are the lights, the starter and the generator.

With the answer of my first dumb question, I am now getting fuel to the injectors, so that part is now taken care of. With the starter solenoid apparantly stuck, my next problem will probably be pulling the starter and paying it some attention.

Thanks again,

/ Embarrassing Question #8  
the solenoid stuck cuz the bat is low and you are melting the contacts.

you are doing this the slightly abusive way. them things need good hot batteries. marginal batteries on a diesel are asking for trouble.

it's a crashbox gear tranny right? you got fuel up to the injectors right?

pull her off. it's the most humane thing you can do at this moment to all parts involved.

soundguy

/ Embarrassing Question #9  
   / Embarrassing Question
Thanks for the help!

I agree that the low battery was a bad deal. I cranked it some on a fully charged battery last night and started getting smoke. When the battery started dieing I backed off before sticking the starter again.

I don't have anyone around to help me pull it to start. The battery is charging again. I'm going to connect jumper cables from my truck onto the charged battery tonight.

Since I'm now at least making smoke, I'm hoping that two hot batteries in tandem will do it.

You are right that I am causing electrical stress on this system. If I can't get it with the two batteries I will have to enlist someone to operate the tow vehicle.

Thanks again!