hi-low will not switch

/ hi-low will not switch #1  

jdbjr55

Tractor
New Holland TC40DA
The electronic high-low swithch will not change status. The indicator light show the change but the transmission stays in low. The switch on the joy stick does the same. Wires all look OK. Any suggestions on where to begin.

/ hi-low will not switch #2  
look under left side for a wire pulled apart...happens to me sometimes.

/ hi-low will not switch
Found wire connector pulled apart. Probably from small tree during bush hogging. Plugged back in and works fine. Thanks.

/ hi-low will not switch #4  
This is really a common problem when working in brush. The wires go to a solenoid that energizes to change the HST motor's swashplate angle. Without any input to the solenoid, the transmission always stays in the turtle mode. You can shift the transmission range from I to II with the lever on the left fender, but the rabbit/turtle always stays in turtle until the solenoid can be energized. In the time I've had my tractor, this has happened to me at least 3 or 4 times. I think I now have my wires tied up away from brush danger, but you just never know. . . .:(

/ hi-low will not switch #5  
I have a TC-35D and when using the hi-lo switch, it will stay in Hi for only a few seconds then shifts back to low on its own. New switch has been installed but problem still exists. Any idea what causes this problem?

Also the cruise contol quit working. Would a new switch solve this problem?

Any ideas to cure these problems?

/ hi-low will not switch #6  
:welcome: Superintendent1. What you are describing with the rabbit/turtle switch is extremely rare. When you switch to rabbit-hi, are you sure it actually goes to rabbit for a few seconds? What I'm saying is that the lights may change, but the transmission may not actually shift. This is what happens when a wire is pulled loose to the shift solenoid on the left side of the transmission. What you are describing means all the wiring has to be connected. Your description indicates a relay is failing or a switch is malfuntioning and sending a random signal to return to turtle-low. Please verify for me the details of your problem because my suggestions for troubleshooting will be different.

For the cruise problem. The electromagnet is on the right side of your tractor under the operator platform It's a bit hard to see, but the attached picture shows where it is located with the operator platform lifited. You won't lift your platform, but you can get under there to make sure the magnet is plugged in. There is also a relay that controls the magnet, and of course, the switch. Your tractor doesn't have to be running to turn on cruise. You can turn on the key and then press the cruise button. You should hear the magnet energize and the HST pedals should hold whereever they are. When you switch it off, the pedals should release. If you magnet is out of adjustment, it might be trying to hold, but cannot get a good grip on the pedals. Many of the magnets have failed. That's also a fairly common problem.

Attachments

• CruisePlate.jpg
    CruisePlate.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 409
  • CruiseMagnet.jpg
    CruiseMagnet.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 436
   / hi-low will not switch #8  
My Farmall 45 (same as TC45.) is having a similar problem. It will switch to high and the tractor will speed up but after a few seconds it will return to low. I've disconnected each switch and it behaves the same. Ive tested the relays, switches and diode module according to service manual and they show proper resistance and continuity. I haven't removed the solenoid yet but it shows proper resistance on the tractor. What could be causing this?