TC24d, broke bell housing

/ TC24d, broke bell housing #1  

pekabu

Platinum Member
Tractor
TC24D
Well, I can't believe it. 850hours on my TC24d, with a NH BH on it. Snapped the bellhousing case almost right at the connection point to the engine. I did some searches and found 1 other case on this site, but no BH. Anyone have this fixed before? Any idea of cost? Afraid of the heart attack I will have when I ask the dealer. :mad:

/ TC24d, broke bell housing #2  
Sorry to hear that. I know you have a subframe. Do you have any
photos?

/ TC24d, broke bell housing
I do have the NH subframe, but I think it still puts a lot of upward pressure on the case. I have one pic right now, this is from the left side of the tractor.
IMG00290.jpg

showphoto.php
showphoto.php

Last edited:
   / TC24d, broke bell housing #4  
Dang,,that's nasty break.
Did you notice any signs of rusty color..been cracking for while???

Can't give advice how much to replace,but if you know of darn good..real good welder maybe he can fix.

/ TC24d, broke bell housing #5  
I would not try to weld it I would replace it. I would talk to my dealer about NH picking up part of the bill since you do have the subframe. I read a post somewhere that someone had broke the belhousing and the new one was built a stronger. They concluded that that since the new one was built stronger that there must have been problems with the origional.
Bill

/ TC24d, broke bell housing #6  
man, sorry to see that. that bell housing is a gonner, don't reckon has any chance for repair. replacement is the only option. I hope NH at least give yoy the part.

JC:(

/ TC24d, broke bell housing #7  
I have seen this happen (the aftermath) on a TC24. My dealer had one that the right side of the engine snaped ans pull away from the bell housing some distance. When I asked about it, I was told that the tractor had been stuck and that the owner tried to pull it out causing the damage. I dont know if that is really what happened since I was there to purchase a newholland tractor. This one did not have a backhoe on it though

/ TC24d, broke bell housing #8  
I agree.. unless the 'welder' has a long time side job where he walks on water and heals lepers.. that casting is a gonner....

if NH won't help.. I'd search for a donor casting at a salvage yard.

soundguy

/ TC24d, broke bell housing #9  
Kinda looks like cast iron,probably from china,so if you did find a welder who could really make that like new,it would cost you more than a new piece.[not many out there with that knowledge and equipement to do that on cast iron]

/ TC24d, broke bell housing #10  
the casting probably originated in japan.. but who knows where the raw materials came from....

considering the casting is an integral part of the tractor frame.. I'd say it is simply not a candidate for any type of repair other than straight out replacement.

soundguy