Help rebuilding Ford 4000 (201) engine

/ Help rebuilding Ford 4000 (201) engine #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
i'm looking to rebuild my Ford 4000 engine and wanted to see if someone can help me understand all that should be looked at, replaced or rebuilt while i have the front of the tractor apart. Currently, i plan to completely rebuild the front end steering bearings, link ends, center main bushing etc. As for the engine we plan to rebuild and sleeve the engine just not sure what all components of the engine should be addressed liked injectors etc. I have someone that will do the repairs for me but wanted to make sure i do all thats needed. He's given me a price of $3000-$3500 but need to ask what all that includes for repairs. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

/ Help rebuilding Ford 4000 (201) engine #2  
are you rebuilding it due to a problem? like it broke down? or to correct wear on a high hour engine? or as part of a restoration.

keep in mind that parts like the IP are as old as the engine.. if it was wore out.. might pay to have the pump rebuilt and the injectors as well.

of course all bearings, and check the cam / crank. valve job / head checked..

might as well do the clutch as well as input shft seal in the tranny..

soundguy

/ Help rebuilding Ford 4000 (201) engine
Soundguy,

I'm rebuilding due to a high mileage engine and some power loss. The front end is in bad shape so I figure i'll do both while i'm into it. One thing i'm curious of is the tractor / engine seems like it has strange vibration (rougher running) issues at different RPM levels. I've driven 3-4 different 4000's - 4610's and a 3930 that didn't have this issue. Not sure if due to high wear of tractor or not. I really like this tractor and want to partially restore it this winter then do the rear end items next year like brakes (almost gone) clutch, rear lift hiccup etc. I will also have it painted during the second stage. Is this a bad way to do things? Just hoping to spread out the cost some. Currently the engine still runs and cranks in cold weather but i have the engine vibration thing and when running a 6ft bush hog it takes full throttle to get through tall grass and must run in 3rd or 4th gear. Just doesn't seem right compared to the 201 engines i've driven.

Thanks

/ Help rebuilding Ford 4000 (201) engine #4  
Sounds like a full rebuild project ahead lies before you. With all you'll be spending make sure the engine is like new when done.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

/ Help rebuilding Ford 4000 (201) engine #5  
might try cracking each injector line in turn and see if one makes less of a difference.

soundguy

Soundguy,

I'm rebuilding due to a high mileage engine and some power loss. The front end is in bad shape so I figure i'll do both while i'm into it. One thing i'm curious of is the tractor / engine seems like it has strange vibration (rougher running) issues at different RPM levels. I've driven 3-4 different 4000's - 4610's and a 3930 that didn't have this issue. Not sure if due to high wear of tractor or not. I really like this tractor and want to partially restore it this winter then do the rear end items next year like brakes (almost gone) clutch, rear lift hiccup etc. I will also have it painted during the second stage. Is this a bad way to do things? Just hoping to spread out the cost some. Currently the engine still runs and cranks in cold weather but i have the engine vibration thing and when running a 6ft bush hog it takes full throttle to get through tall grass and must run in 3rd or 4th gear. Just doesn't seem right compared to the 201 engines i've driven.

Thanks