Question on mounting a 730 loader to a 3000

/ Question on mounting a 730 loader to a 3000 #1  

Laneman

Bronze Member
I have a diesel 3000, around 1973, and a Ford 730 loader that the seller removed from a 2000. Serial number begins with A, which I think is a Belgium made Ford. The 730 loader is supposed to fit my model, but my tractor only has 2 holes that I can see for mounting the front support plate to hold the loader. Looks like the bottom two holes are there but I don't see the top two holes. There are brackets for the radiator deck right where the upper loader plate holes go. Can someone take a look at their loader setup and see if the top two holes are bolted onto the tractor. I don't think the loader is only held on with two bolts, plus the New Holland website shows bolts in the top two holes.

/ Question on mounting a 730 loader to a 3000 #2  
are both the 2000 and 3000 a regualr ag model.. or was the 2000 a lcg or?

soundguy

/ Question on mounting a 730 loader to a 3000
The 2000 looked like a standard blue ag model, but I don't know how to tell what an LCG looks like. I think the 2000 was older, maybe mid 60's compared to my 70's model. Either way, I will have to drill two 1 inch holes into the cast iron front axle support housing on front of the engine. Not the engine block itself, it's a big thick cover in front of the crank pulley that seems to be made for mounting a loader. I may remove the cover to do the drilling so I can use a drill press. I would think drilling those big holes in cast iron with a portable drill would be a nightmare. I found the parts catalog description of the cover, 81845556 Support, Axle, U.K., Antwerp, Except 2300,3300, Start Year: 08/01/1970.

/ Question on mounting a 730 loader to a 3000 #4  
if it's cast iron.. it drills real easilly. i'd use a hole saw.. cuts easy. I'd rather drill cast iron than any other metal.. it even drills easier than aluminum...

soundguy

Wow, a hole saw. Never would have thought of that. I think I will try that, I have a 1 inch saw bit that will work.

/ Question on mounting a 730 loader to a 3000 #6  
should work fine..

soundguy

The hole saw worked great for drilling the two 3/4 holes in cast iron. Thanks Soundguy for that tip, it was quick and the holes came out very clean. Next I need to widen the front axle by one notch to give clearance to the loader mounting bolt. Last I need to order some of the pump driveshafts part due to worn splines.

/ Question on mounting a 730 loader to a 3000 #8  
you did not need to drill no wholes in the tractor u only use to wholes on the plate for a 3000 and for a 3400 you use for and if u put the front mount plate on off a pre 65 model u will have to cut the top of the plate where the top two bolt are so u can put the pump on and it line up correctly to the crank pulley

The 2000 it was removed from used all 4 holes. The parts catalog for a 3000 appears to show all four used. Anyway, I guess an extra two bolts won't do any harm. The loader weighs 1000 lbs empty. Add a yard of dirt and those two 5/8 bolts on the bottom would be under a lot of strain.

/ Question on mounting a 730 loader to a 3000 #10  
The hole saw worked great for drilling the two 3/4 holes in cast iron. Thanks Soundguy for that tip, it was quick and the holes came out very clean. Next I need to widen the front axle by one notch to give clearance to the loader mounting bolt. Last I need to order some of the pump driveshafts part due to worn splines.

anything larger than 5/8 into cast iron I usually try a hole saw.. just tends to save time..

soundguy