1984 1710 Hydraulic malfunctioning

/ 1984 1710 Hydraulic malfunctioning #1  

JFS2295

Silver Member
Tractor
None
I've not run my 1710 for a few weeks and went to use it today but the hydraulics were not working well.

History Usually no problem with it, but one winter I did have an issue where the hydraulics would not work below freezing until the tractor warmed up, which I attributed to water inclusion. For the twenty-five years I've had this tractor the hydraulic fluid always turns milky after a few months even through its shedded. I've checked venting and sealing but it always gets milky, so I normally change the fluid and filter every year even with low hours. During the last few uses I noticed the FEL hydraulics were a little slower, even the bucket drop with the float position. Fluid was changed last spring and it probably only has 20 hours with it.

Today started it up (65°F) and the bucket would almost not move. Had a little jittering like it had air, too (shows 1/2 inch down on the dipstick). I could get it to move and curl, and it would lift heavy weight but very, very slowly. 3 PT was sluggish too. This unit has a Tesco remote valve as of a few years ago, FYI.

I HAD to use it for a short time so I did. I was going to change the hydraulic filter as its acting almost like it has a plugged filter (never had that before though), but since I was short on time and would rather change both fluid and filter together, I left it alone for now.

But here is the curious thing once again the FEL float is as slow as the powered hydraulics. I would have expected that to just dump into the reservoir of the gear case or bypass within the FEL circuitry. I probably should have tried dropping the bucket with the tractor not running, but didn't think of that until I was writing this.

Anyway, in a few days I'll be back to the farm to try to understand what is going on, but was wondering if anyone had this issue before or any suggestions?

Thanks.

/ 1984 1710 Hydraulic malfunctioning #2  
If you have quick disconects on the loader I would check them first. Un hook and rehook them and see if it helps. The remote valve isn't on is it.
Bill

/ 1984 1710 Hydraulic malfunctioning
Thanks Bill. I'll put that on the checklist. Now that you brought it up, a few years ago I did have a QC give me issues, which was replaced.

I cycled through the remote valve just in case. Wasn't it. But have thought of pulling the plate and putting in the OE just to take it out of the equation.