wont start

/ wont start #1  

JayKoska

I have a 4630 Ford/New Holland that suddenly wont start. If I crank it over it starts but when I release the starter key it dies. I replace the starter switch, and checked all fuses with an ohlm meter. In the start but not crank position I have no power to the fuel solinoid. If I move one of the wires on the starter to the aux. position it will start however it only starts after I release it from the crank position to the on position. Is there a hidden relay somewhere.

/ wont start #2  
You will need a wiring schematic or a tone generator to track that down. Wiring on the 4xxx series tended to be simple and should be easy to track with said tone generator. One more thing to check would be neutral safety switches to see if that is your problem.

/ wont start
Thanks I used a ohlm meter and did just that. The neurtral safety switch would prevent it from cranking, which it does. Once cranked it starts then releasing the switch from the crank position it dies. Any other thoughts.

/ wont start #4  
Possibly a bad ignition switch. It is separate contacts for start and run for the fuel solenoid. Can you put it in the run position and then check voltage, first at the solenoid, then back at the switch, etc. The manual should (I hope) show the wiring and how the power gets to the run and start contacts.

/ wont start #5  
I have a 4630 Ford/New Holland that suddenly wont start. If I crank it over it starts but when I release the starter key it dies. I replace the starter switch, and checked all fuses with an ohlm meter. In the start but not crank position I have no power to the fuel solinoid. If I move one of the wires on the starter to the aux. position it will start however it only starts after I release it from the crank position to the on position. Is there a hidden relay somewhere.

Put a jump wire from the battery to the fuel cut off solenoid and see if it will keep running . Seeing as you have changed the switch , it nearly has to be in the starter relay .