Dirt Moving TC-29 Weak hydraulics?

/ TC-29 Weak hydraulics? #1  

V1Rotate

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC 29D
It is my understanding that there are 3 bucket sizes available for the TC-29, 48", 60" and a 68" heavy duty. My tractor has the 68" HD bucket and here is my problem. When moving piles of top soil it is impossible to load up a full bucket. When pushing into the pile, the bucket only will go about half or three quarter of the way in, then the the hydrostat trans starts to bypass. I am using full throttle, first gear and FWD, traction is not a problem. Once the bucket is in the pile, I cannot curl it back or lift it unless I back away from the pile, after that, lifting is no problem. I have changed the hydro fluid and filters for the trans and hydraulic system and the engine seems to have plenty of power. I guess my question is this, do you think the 68 inch bucket is too large and puts more load on the hydraulic system than it was designed for? Or do you think the system is low on pressure? BTW The tractor is also equipped with a backhoe that runs off the main hydro system.

/ TC-29 Weak hydraulics? #2  
No expert here, but this is what I think: You should get a pressure gauge or have tested by the dealer the pressure relief setting. It could just be set kinda low. My TC33DA was set low when I got it, and I complained to the dealer, who turned it up and all was well after that. I would have it set to the high side of what the factory spec for that tractor calls for. It is not uncommon for tractors to be set low from the factory. I'm guessing it helps with warranty claims:). But there is a safe range to set the pressure relief valve, and it would be interesting to know where your's is set in that range.
James K0UA

/ TC-29 Weak hydraulics? #3  
My TC-29 D has a 7308 FEL which is 68 " bucket and I have standard shift not HST..I also have turf tires and that sounds about right..with packed top soil in a pile you have to curl the bucket down and back drag it and then scoop it up. If you just attack the bottom of the pile it will be tough with almost any rubber tired loader with our HP...so I always knock it off the top of the pile and backdrag to the botton and scoop it up from there..Does that help any ?

/ TC-29 Weak hydraulics? #4  
for sure i'd pressure test it before doing anything else.

also remember.. more 'go pedal' on an hst makes it weaker...

soundguy

/ TC-29 Weak hydraulics? #5  
I doubt you have any problem with hydraulics, it sounds like technique to me. With a tractor that size you need to drive into the pile at moderate speeds while lifting and curling the bucket at the same time. What you want to do is carve away the pile, not drive into it. It is also more efficient, as you undermine the pile from the bottom, the top of the pile will slide as you lift. The backdragging advice is also good, a TC-29 does not have the HP to drive into piles without eventually damaging the tractor.

/ TC-29 Weak hydraulics?
Thanks for the inputs. Does anyone know what the pressure should be and how to adjust it? Is this something that only a dealer should mess with?

/ TC-29 Weak hydraulics? #7  
Thanks for the inputs. Does anyone know what the pressure should be and how to adjust it? Is this something that only a dealer should mess with?

Yes, you MUST know what the pressure should be.
You also need to know exactly what is the CURRENT pressure.
If you take your tractor to a dealer, they can do both for you.
If you buy a 5000 psi gage and plumb it to a quick-connect male fitting, you can use your loader's quick connects to check system pressure. The gage and fittings will be less than $50 and you'll have a reusable tool.

Pressure is adjusted by adding/removing shims from the system relief valve. Each shim added or removed will change the pressure about 150 psi. Raising the pressure too high may cause seals or the pump to fail. Mistakes can be costly. Given the choice of spending $50 on a gage or maybe $500+ on a failed pump, I'd opt for the gage.:thumbsup:

/ TC-29 Weak hydraulics?
I took your advise and picked up a gauge and the quick couple fitting. The dealer said the pressure should be 1750 PSI which is what I am getting at 2000 RPM, and at full throttle it puts out just under 1900 PSI. I don't think I will adjust anything because I now know that the pressure is correct, thanks for your help.

/ TC-29 Weak hydraulics? #9  
Great! A gage sure takes the guesswork of of things doesn't it? You could have a cylinder bypassing internally and causing the system to be weak, but the only way you would find that out is to "T" in the gage so you could leave it in the circuit while you operated the loader. That's bit more challenging to plumb in a T rather than just a straight fitting.