help me get started!!

/ help me get started!! #1  

jeff flannery

Tractor
ford 535
All... today i was using my ford 535 backhoe and changed the oil when i was done. After that, i sprayed on some engine degreaser and washed it off. I started the tractor and it ran with a sort of "huffing" sound every now and then. It then dropped rpm's and shut off. I can't get it re-started. I sprayed starting fluid into the air cleaner tube and it runs only until the fluid is used up. What could be up??? I only use the tractor occasionally and one time before, i had to put an algae killer in the fuel tank. Or could i have gotten something wet? I can't see what i washed off would kill the motor. The strange sound coming from the engine i never heard before. It almost sounded like an engine miss, along with the huffing sound. Any ideas???

/ help me get started!! #2  
sounds like it ran out of diesel if u changed the fuel filter it might not be bled out all the way because u shouldn't have hurt anything by getting it wet

/ help me get started!!
Thanks for the reply. I got it started!! I twisted the fitting under the fuel filter and water came out!! I keprt it open till diesel came out and shazam!! It started!! I'm going to get a new filter asap! Thanks again.. Jeff

/ help me get started!! #4  
Thanks for the reply. I got it started!! I twisted the fitting under the fuel filter and water came out!! I keprt it open till diesel came out and shazam!! It started!! I'm going to get a new filter asap! Thanks again.. Jeff

You might want to rain the tank out and clean the screen on the tank valve. If you had a lot of water there's probably some crud in the botom of the tank, too.

/ help me get started!! #5  

You might want to drain the tank out and clean the screen on the tank valve. If you had a lot of water there's probably some crud in the botom of the tank, too.

/ help me get started!! #6  
Jeff, if you washed the tractor down and then found water in the fuel, you might be looking for a leak in the fuel cap or somewhere else around the fuel tank. It could be something as simple as the gasket around the fuel level sending unit is damaged or the fasteners are loose. It also might be something critical like a crack in the top of the fuel tank. It just seems odd that you didn't have this problem until you washed the tractor.

/ help me get started!!
I totally agree with you. I had no problem with starting and running until i washed the motor and the area around it down. I didn't have a chance to look aroud real close, but i saw a rubber hose connecting to metal fuel lines about three inches long with hose clamps on both ends. The top hose clamp was loose and that got me thinking that maybe some water got in there when i hosed off the grease cleaner. We'll see.... thanks again, Jeff