Ford 1700 4X4 steering problems

/ Ford 1700 4X4 steering problems #1  

hobby1700

Tractor
Ford 1700
Hi, I have owned this Ford 1700 for over a year and it has always has had loose streering wheel. Today I was doing the neighborly thing helping someone move some gravel and leveling it. In the middle of the job the steering started to seem harder than normal. I stopped and looked it over to notice the 4 bolts that hold the side cover of the steering box and the adjuster screw were all loose. I tightened them up and no change to the hard steering. I have the shop manual and looked it over, but the only thing that I can figure is that I will have to rebuild. Does anyone have any advice or similar problems before I dig into it? Also, I am not sure if it takes fluid, but nothing leaked out when the bolts were loose, could it be as simple as adding some oil?

/ Ford 1700 4X4 steering problems #2  
search the archives there.. there are some fairly lengthy discussions about that steering box.

ps.. yep.. needs lube for the sector to be happy!

soundguy

/ Ford 1700 4X4 steering problems #3  
My shop manual shows the Ford "134" hydraulic oil as the lube of choice.

/ Ford 1700 4X4 steering problems #4  
Hi, I have owned this Ford 1700 for over a year and it has always has had loose streering wheel. Today I was doing the neighborly thing helping someone move some gravel and leveling it. In the middle of the job the steering started to seem harder than normal. I stopped and looked it over to notice the 4 bolts that hold the side cover of the steering box and the adjuster screw were all loose. I tightened them up and no change to the hard steering. I have the shop manual and looked it over, but the only thing that I can figure is that I will have to rebuild. Does anyone have any advice or similar problems before I dig into it? Also, I am not sure if it takes fluid, but nothing leaked out when the bolts were loose, could it be as simple as adding some oil?

I would just start by tightening the 4 bolts, take the plug off on top, use a small funnel and fill it up with ford 134 or equal. I will then try to take some of the flop in the steering by loosing the middle nut and turn the adjussting screw in or our to adjust the flop. if it still hard it might be the balls in the shaft assembly that might be lost or out of place.

JC,

use the forum search engine and you'll get many good hits.

Last edited:
   / Ford 1700 4X4 steering problems #5  
if there is steering wheel rise or drop that's excessive thrust play.. that will cause hard steering as well.

soundguy

/ Ford 1700 4X4 steering problems
Thanks for all the advice. I took the side cover off the steering box and discovered the problem. The Sector shaft sheered off at the adjuster screw. So I hope it is as easy as finding a new one.

/ Ford 1700 4X4 steering problems #7  
Thanks for all the advice. I took the side cover off the steering box and discovered the problem. The Sector shaft sheered off at the adjuster screw. So I hope it is as easy as finding a new one.

Can you identify part # for where the part was sheered off? Do you by any chance have the picture of damaged component?

JC,

Edit: just checked an on line source and, Oh my!!!!:(:( They are out of stock but ask $990 for it. Yikes. may be you can fix what's broken.

Ford, 1700, Steering, MANUAL-STEERING, STEERING GEAR BOX, SBA334010220 at Wengers Of Myerstown

Last edited:
   / Ford 1700 4X4 steering problems #8  
ditto that..

did the stud #50 shear.. or the shaft # 48?

if it's like an older ford, that stud slips into ears onto the shaft.

I bet a good machinist could weld and cut that shaft to renew it

i've had a wormshaft repaired..

soundguy