Oil & Fuel TC40DA: Oil change nightmare.

/ TC40DA: Oil change nightmare. #61  
Nice work STW.:thumbsup: I'm sure you are a lot braver than I at doing this job yourself. It appears you've hit a home run. Your advice for clearing the problem is very good. Pull the glowplugs and pull the fuel C/O solenoid and crank until all oil is cleared from the cylinders.

In looking at your picture of the fuel C/O solenoid, I could not help but see your fuel inside the filter. That really got my attention because your fuel looks murky instead of very clear with only a slight yellow tint like the diesel we buy here. I'm including a picture (not too good) of my solenoid and fuel filter. I think you can see the difference. Is your filter bowl cloudy, or is that your fuel?

Attachments

• Solenoid-install.jpg
    Solenoid-install.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 412
   / TC40DA: Oil change nightmare. #63  
Nice work STW.:thumbsup: I'm sure you are a lot braver than I at doing this job yourself. It appears you've hit a home run. Your advice for clearing the problem is very good. Pull the glowplugs and pull the fuel C/O solenoid and crank until all oil is cleared from the cylinders.

In looking at your picture of the fuel C/O solenoid, I could not help but see your fuel inside the filter. That really got my attention because your fuel looks murky instead of very clear with only a slight yellow tint like the diesel we buy here. I'm including a picture (not too good) of my solenoid and fuel filter. I think you can see the difference. Is your filter bowl cloudy, or is that your fuel?

Jinman, is that your original fuel bowl? My Case came with a milky plastic bowl which is terrible for trouble shooting. Yours looks like glass it's so clear!

/ TC40DA: Oil change nightmare. #64  
Jinman, is that your original fuel bowl? My Case came with a milky plastic bowl which is terrible for trouble shooting. Yours looks like glass it's so clear!

Yep, it's the original and very clear. I can easily see the yellow tint of the fuel looking into it and even check out the condition of the filter. The bowl is plastic as I remember. BTW: Our diesel here is so good and clean that I think I've only changed that filter twice in 1700 hours.:eek: I once put 125,000 miles on my truck's fuel filter/water separator and it looked new when I changed it out. I think other areas of the country have additives to the diesel and containment problems we don't have. I have never had the least bit of problems with clean diesel or fuel jelling. It must be regional.

/ TC40DA: Oil change nightmare. #65  
Yep, it's the original and very clear. I can easily see the yellow tint of the fuel looking into it and even check out the condition of the filter. The bowl is plastic as I remember. BTW: Our diesel here is so good and clean that I think I've only changed that filter twice in 1700 hours.:eek: I once put 125,000 miles on my truck's fuel filter/water separator and it looked new when I changed it out. I think other areas of the country have additives to the diesel and containment problems we don't have. I have never had the least bit of problems with clean diesel or fuel jelling. It must be regional.

Likewise, although not nearly as many hours as you Jim, I've only changed mine once in the nearly 10 years of owning and operating my tractor. Not sure if I'll ever do it again as the fuel here is excellent as well.

/ TC40DA: Oil change nightmare. #66  
I am in the process of purchsing a 2002 Case D40 is this a potential problem for this tractor too.It is basically the same thing. Just wondering if the year of the machine makes a difference.

/ TC40DA: Oil change nightmare. #67  
I am in the process of purchsing a 2002 Case D40 is this a potential problem for this tractor too.It is basically the same thing. Just wondering if the year of the machine makes a difference.

Big_Lug, you must have speed-read this thread.:rolleyes: It was posted that 2005 models did not have the issue and that it probably started in 2006. Your 2002 model should be safe from this problem.:thumbsup:

/ TC40DA: Oil change nightmare. #68  
This continues to be a very real problem out here in the real world.

I've been looking for a small mowing machine and have stumbled upon two different New Holland TC26D machines that suffered this catastrophic damage. All from a "simple" oil change.

I've decided to pass on any of the many affected New Hollands to avoid my own version of this nightmare.

/ TC40DA: Oil change nightmare. #69  
Thank you all for posting. I'm a brand new member, just registered. I bought a property last fall that came with a TC29DA and I just did my first oil change on it. There is no unusual information in my owners manual (poor slowly, etc.), but the service bulletin you identified indicates that all models of this tractor are affected. I appreciate that this issue came to my attention just before the change because of this and one other thread on this site. Thanks again!

/ TC40DA: Oil change nightmare. #70  
Scary, I had no idea this was a thing, never thought of looking at the manual for a oil change. Guess I got lucky. I’m going to add a sticker to the inside of my hood just in case my tractor outlives me. I think there should be a sticky at the beginning of this forum on this issue new owners would be more likely to find it.