1980 Ford 555 - Routine Maintenance

/ 1980 Ford 555 - Routine Maintenance #1  

Beetractor555

Tractor
Ford 555
I recently bought a 1980 Ford 555 Backhoe from a neighbor. It was in pretty good shape, but I had a local tractor mechanic go through it and repair the radiator, adjust the brakes, do some welding and a few other tweaks and fixes. Got about $7,000.00 into it total and everything is operating perfectly now. Wondering what I should be keeping an eye on in terms of routine maintenance. I'm not using it for work, just around my own property.

/ 1980 Ford 555 - Routine Maintenance #2  
Grease, grease, grease. Every 8 hours or less of use, grease the loader and backhoe. Grease the wheel pivots and axle pivots every 25 hours. Older tractors almost always suffer from lack of proper regular greasing. I know my LB75B I just bought needed some work in that regard, but now it has gease oozing out of all the right places.:thumbsup:

/ 1980 Ford 555 - Routine Maintenance #3  
Get an operators manual. It will give you the maintenance schedule. I got a reprint from another tractor website. It was expensive and poor quality. I found an original on ebay for much less.

Something thats apparently overlooked are the u-joints on the hydraulic pump driveshaft. They need to be greased. There are two styles. The newer style has a longer maintenance interval, and is easier to access. Mine is the older style and requires removing the grill to access the front u-joint. The change in design happened in 1980 so be sure to check which style you have.

The operators manual will show where all the grease zerks are....and there's a bunch of them. At least 50! I agree with Jim. Grease, grease, grease! Also use good quality fluids and filters and follow the recommended maintenance intervals.

If the anti-freeze hasn't been changed recently flush the system and replace with appropriate A-F that has an anti-cavitation additive. Search the oil and lube section on this site. There was a very informative topic about A-F last year.

You might want to consider a battery tender. I recommend the Deltran brand.

/ 1980 Ford 555 - Routine Maintenance #4  
Just figuring where all the grease fittings can be a challenge!!!! I've tried to count mine, but always loose track.

When where you hydraulic filters changed? I do mine every year, regardless of hours. I also change the oil every year regardless of hours. I don't run them enough to do it hourly, but just having it sit around creates it's own set of issues.

The air filter needs to be cleaned pretty regularly. I replace it with a new one every year, and sometimes twice a year.

There are all sorts of fuel issues if you don't keep it clean. Replace the filters. I have two fuel filters and a sediment bowl. I forgot about the sediment bowl and had a loss of power that just about put me in a panic.

Be sure to look at all your hoses. I grease before using it for the day, and while greasing, I do my inspection. Many times I've noticed something that I didn't know was wrong during this time.

If you hear something, or feel something odd. Stop and investigate. There is something wrong, and ignoring it just makes it worse.

Watch your back trail. If you get a leak, you wont notice it if you are going one way and the leak is behind you.

Good luck and have fun,
Eddie

/ 1980 Ford 555 - Routine Maintenance #5  
Just figuring where all the grease fittings can be a challenge!!!! I've tried to count mine, but always loose track.
You got that right!
I counted 26 on the loader.
9 on the front axle and steering.
2 on the hydraulic pump driveshaft.
6 on the outriggers.
18 on the hoe...
That's 61 and I'm not sure I got all of them on the hoe.

/ 1980 Ford 555 - Routine Maintenance #6  
Pops15 said:
You got that right!
I counted 26 on the loader.
9 on the front axle and steering.
2 on the hydraulic pump driveshaft.
6 on the outriggers.
18 on the hoe...
That's 61 and I'm not sure I got all of them on the hoe.

Don't forget the diff lock linkage pivot on the rear axle

/ 1980 Ford 555 - Routine Maintenance #7  
You realy want to add to that number, buy a grapple!!!!

Eddie

/ 1980 Ford 555 - Routine Maintenance #8  
I bought a 10-pack of GLI-2 grease and now I'm down to my last three tubes (4 if you count the one in my greasegun). I was looking at my grease gun last week and considered taking the airlock adapter off and using a 5-gallon pneumatic bucket of grease with a needle adapter to refill the handheld greasegun through the air bleed port. I might even find a grease zerk that would fit in there. When I build my shop, one of the first things is going to be one of those pneumatic grease guns that fit on a 5-gal pail. I may find that a long hose is easier than refilling my handheld gun, but golly, I'm sure using a lot of grease to keep my tractor happy. I'm also sure my wife thinks most of it has ended up on my clothes instead of the tractor too.:eek::laughing:

/ 1980 Ford 555 - Routine Maintenance #9  
I've tried to count mine, but always loose track.

Eddie
To help keep track of the fittings I already greased, I bought those rubber caps that snap over the fittings and once I grease it the cap goes back on. (Before I grease the tractor I remove all of them at one time).

It's a little thing but it helps + it keeps the grease fittings clean from dirt.

25 of them is around $5-6 on the 'Bay.

/ 1980 Ford 555 - Routine Maintenance #10  
When I build my shop, one of the first things is going to be one of those pneumatic grease guns that fit on a 5-gal pail. I may find that a long hose is easier than refilling my handheld gun, but golly, I'm sure using a lot of grease to keep my tractor happy. I'm also sure my wife thinks most of it has ended up on my clothes instead of the tractor too.:eek::laughing:
Jim, As much grease as you're going through you might want to get a pneumatic pump set up that holds a 135# (15 gal) barrel. I've got two of them. They're on casters so you can wheel them around the shop. I picked mine up at auctions for $15 and $45 each.