Ford 1510 lug nuts bonehead report

/ Ford 1510 lug nuts bonehead report #1  

Marveltone

Veteran Member
Tractor
Fordson Major Diesel, McCormick Deering W4, Ford 1510, John Deere L111
Okay, I'm officially a bonehead. I drove all the way to the farm to install my new tire chains, only to find out the rear wheels need to be spaced father apart to make clearance. Problem is, my socket set was in town so I had no tools, so no chain install. :mad: Now that I'm home, I realize I'd forgotten to measure the lug nuts to see if I even have a socket large enough to do the job. :ashamed:

I won't be back at the farm for at least another week, but in the meantime, does anybody here know what size socket I'll need to remove the rear wheel lug nuts? :confused3:

Joe

/ Ford 1510 lug nuts bonehead report #2  
Joe,

I'm not 100% sure but on my 1700 the rear wheel lug is either 19 or 21 mm. A set of metric 1/2" deep impact socket is about $20 from Cummins or HF. That along with a breaker bar is all you'll ever need on 1520. I bought a 3/4" ratchet from HF under $20 and a set of adapter from 3/4" to 1/2" and 1/2" to 3/8". they covered all my need so far.

JC,

/ Ford 1510 lug nuts bonehead report
Thanks, JC. I'm about 1000 light years away from a Cummins dealer, but we have a couple of good Hardware stores up here that cater to the farmers. I'll see what they carry for metric impact sockets.

Joe

/ Ford 1510 lug nuts bonehead report #5  
Not to go off topic but I'm going to,,,,You shop at Cummins ?

Actually they were sued for using the name Cummins anymore. They got the crappiest things ever but it is so close to my work. Occasionally you'll find some Japanese quality tool. I bought only a impact Chrome-Vanadium 1/2" deep socket set, a Jack Stand set and a winch. I had it for 7 years now and have not been able to break any no matter biggest cheater pipe i have used.

Joe,

Ace hardware and multitude of other vendors sell the same , may be a bit pricey. One 1/2" socket set will be enough for most of your needs. probably you want to go to our farm with a socket set rather than on that fits your wheel lug.

JC,

/ Ford 1510 lug nuts bonehead report #6  
Joe, do you have Northern Tools & Equipment in your area? They sell inexpensive impact sets too. As a matter of fact, you might find a cheap set at some place like Pep Boys, but I quit shopping in those stores a long time ago when Manny, Moe, and Jack wouldn't let veterans sell artificial poppies and flags in front of their door on Veteran's Day.

Also, I looked it up and your lug bolts are M16 X 30, so your head size should be 24mm by ISO standards. I don't mean to differ with JC, just to say what I found which does not mean that is the size, but I'd make sure I had a wrench to fit 24MM just in case. Here's a link to a chart.

Last edited:
   / Ford 1510 lug nuts bonehead report #7  
Also, I looked it up and your lug bolts are M16 X 30, so your head size should be 24mm by ISO standards. I don't mean to differ with JC, just to say what I found which does not mean that is the size, but I'd make sure I had a wrench to fit 24MM just in case.[/URL]

Jim,

You know how memory goes, Nice and murky in my case.:(:(. I did go out to look at the socket in my Jeep. I had a piece of extension on the breaker bar with the socket on and just remembered I used it to take the from wheel of rather than rear to put some slime in. Most likely you are right and the lug size is 24 mm. Again to the OP, one should go to work with a complete set. I have everything but a kitchen sink in my Jeep anytime I go out to my farm. I was at Sears yesterday morning and they had some good impact socket set for around $30, again if my memory serves me right:D

JC,

/ Ford 1510 lug nuts bonehead report #8  
Well,

I stand corrected once more by our Mr.Jinman:) I was at my place today and remembered to check it out. My rear lug bolt is 24 mm like Jim said and the front is 17 mm.

JC,:)

/ Ford 1510 lug nuts bonehead report #9  
Well,

I stand corrected once more by our Mr.Jinman:) I was at my place today and remembered to check it out. My rear lug bolt is 24 mm like Jim said and the front is 17 mm.

JC,:)

:D Well, it's not like I REALLY knew. I just used the references available to make a best guess and this time I got lucky.:thumbsup: