3 Range Hydro for Class III Boomer?

/ 3 Range Hydro for Class III Boomer? #1  

TCowner

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4720 Cab
I was curious how many of us with a class III Boomer would like to see a extra range with the hydro transmission. I like the powershift feature in the current 2 range system but there are times when a mid range would be nice. I seldom used anything but the B range on my Deere 4300, 4400 and 4600 tractors. Obviously if I was on the road I was in the C range or if I was engaged in heavy loader work I used the A range. But for most loader work, mowing, etc., the B range was perfect. Occasionally I find the Rabbit speed in Range I to be a little slow while the turtle speed in Range II to be to fast. Almost all loader work seems to require a shift back to Range I followed by an upshift to range II for transporting the load as Range I is just a little too slow. It is not real big complaint but was just wondering if other Class III owners would like to see another range between the two.

/ 3 Range Hydro for Class III Boomer? #2  
I've sometimes felt that way when using the loader and transporting loads a long distance. Truth is, I normally mentally give myself a "kick in the pants" for being lazy. The HST and rabbit/turtle switch has spoiled me. How hard is it to stop and shift to high range? Most of the time I just end up smiling to myself and thinking how wonderful it is to be able to carry such a load at any speed. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I get your point, but I've also found if I operate at 2,200 rpm. Low-rabbit is fast enough for me. If I operate at lower rpms, it seems too slow.

/ 3 Range Hydro for Class III Boomer? #3  
I've had the same observation myself, but like Jim, I think how lazy I've become.
Stop for a second and shift if you feel a need to speed.

/ 3 Range Hydro for Class III Boomer? #4  
In rabbit low range is 6 mph which for me
is fine for mowing.
When doing loader work how about tearing up
lots of the pile in low gear then scooping and
hauling in high range turtle.