Replacing a Ford 1710 front dr. shaft

/ Replacing a Ford 1710 front dr. shaft #1  

double hunter

Gold Member
Tractor
Ford 1715
I need to replace the front dr. shaft, input housing on front differential and the driveshaft cover tube, any help appreciated, looks like I need to remove the piece that it coneects to at the rear, but if anyone has done this or any advice would be appreciated, located the parts at a salvage yard and have them on the way.

/ Replacing a Ford 1710 front dr. shaft #2  
The best advice I can give you is to buy a service manual. The job you are a taking on is not a simple job. One mistake while assembling the front end could end up costing a lot of money.
Bill

/ Replacing a Ford 1710 front dr. shaft #3  
Either remove the drop box from the rear axle center section, or remove the front axle from the front frame assembly. Take your pick.

/ Replacing a Ford 1710 front dr. shaft #4  
How did you determine what parts were needed if you don't have it apart yet.
Bill

/ Replacing a Ford 1710 front dr. shaft #5  
I don't know how much difference there is from a 1700 to a 1710, but my 1700 was easy. Just remove the bolts front and rear at the drive shaft, remove the front pivot for the axle and roll the front end forward to provide clearance ot remove the drive shaft. There are splines on each end with a coupling that just slid off. Oh you might have to drain some oil.

see pictures at...
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/1605097-post24.html

Russell

/ Replacing a Ford 1710 front dr. shaft
I bought this tractor knowing it needed the drive shaft, previous owner ran over a stump and broke the end off the front input housing, this also bent the tube, someone tried to drive the drive shaft out and buggered the end of the dr. shaft, I may not have all the parts i need, I found the front input housing, drive shaft, drive shaft tube and the 2 couplers for each end of the dr. shaft, are there any other parts in this assembly, I was looking at it this afternoon and looks like you are right about the procedure, move the front axle forward or drop the assemby at the rear, not sure which would be the easiest.

/ Replacing a Ford 1710 front dr. shaft
Russel, you mentioned o rings in your last post with pictures, are the o rings assoc. with this assembly.

/ Replacing a Ford 1710 front dr. shaft #8  
In the link that Russell posted the last pic is of the end of the pinion gear. If this is bent or broken you have to dissamble the front axle to replace it. The gear set is $1090.32. Even if there is no aparent damage I would take it apart to make there isn't any damaged bearings. This is why I suggested a service manual. Remove the front axle .If you remove the drop box you have to drain all the hyd fluid.
Bill