Ford 4000SU Diesel Governor Problems

/ Ford 4000SU Diesel Governor Problems #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
I have a 71 Ford 4000 that the governor seems not to work correctly. During load like running into higher grass bush hogging the tractor loses power quickly which is different than my newer ones. Shouldn't the governor pick up a little to handle the increased load? if so what would cause it not to work correctly? Thanks,

/ Ford 4000SU Diesel Governor Problems #2  
sawtooth said:
I have a 71 Ford 4000 that the governor seems not to work correctly. During load like running into higher grass bush hogging the tractor loses power quickly which is different than my newer ones. Shouldn't the governor pick up a little to handle the increased load? if so what would cause it not to work correctly? Thanks,

From what you power loss is the problem. When it looses power, is there any smoke? If so, what color?

If it smokes,Black or gray usually means the engine is getting fuel, but not burning it correctly.

No smoke would be not enough fuel. Governor issue? Possibly. Fuel restriction? Probably. Does the shut off cable return the lever fully to the run position?

Fuel restriction could be a plugged filter, or stuff in the shut off valve on the tank.

/ Ford 4000SU Diesel Governor Problems
From what you power loss is the problem. When it looses power, is there any smoke? If so, what color?

If it smokes,Black or gray usually means the engine is getting fuel, but not burning it correctly.

No smoke would be not enough fuel. Governor issue? Possibly. Fuel restriction? Probably. Does the shut off cable return the lever fully to the run position?

Fuel restriction could be a plugged filter, or stuff in the shut off valve on the tank.

Doesn't seem to smoke any more or any less. Now if i apply more throttle during a heavy load (like higher thicker grass) some black smoke will come out. But as far as the gov adjusting the fuel i can tell no difference. Just seems for the smallest load change i have to adjust the throttle manually as the gov seems not to make any adjustments.

/ Ford 4000SU Diesel Governor Problems #4  
By any chance, does this tractor have an in-line Simms pump? Usually they have rotary CAV pumps, but a few had in-lines.

None the less, make sure you get a real good fuel flow all the way to the injection pump, and the shut off lever fully returns.

i don't believe it does, however, i have had issues with crap in the fuel tank. Maybe i'll take all of her apart to clean out everything real good. Thanks for the info,

/ Ford 4000SU Diesel Governor Problems #6  

Actually the govenor will "droop" (drop some rpm) when it encounters increased load, the exact ammount being determined by the change in load and the initial no load rpm. But is should not bog down for small changes in load. How high an rpm are you setting and how many rpm do you lose?

Do you have adequate fuel and airflow, i.e. when did you last change the fuel filter and clean or change the air filter(s)? Check the tank drain too as it can get restricted with trash.

TT
Actually the govenor will "droop" (drop some rpm) when it encounters increased load, the exact ammount being determined by the change in load and the initial no load rpm. But is should not bog down for small changes in load. How high an rpm are you setting and how many rpm do you lose?

Do you have adequate fuel and airflow, i.e. when did you last change the fuel filter and clean or change the air filter(s)? Check the tank drain too as it can get restricted with trash.

I normally run about 1700- 1800 rpm for bushhogging. When I hit heavier grass the rpms drop down to 1300 or 1400 rpms. I then apply more throttle. AlSo if I'm going up hill under load then down hill I must adjust the throttle again as it gets very fast. Don't have to do this on my 98 3930 tractor. Maybe old tractors are just not the same.

/ Ford 4000SU Diesel Governor Problems #8  
naw.. somethings wrong. my 3000 doesn't drop like that when mowing.. it's governor has better response than my 00 series gassers.. better torque too.

I'd have the IP checked.

soundguy

/ Ford 4000SU Diesel Governor Problems #9  
TT

I normally run about 1700- 1800 rpm for bushhogging. When I hit heavier grass the rpms drop down to 1300 or 1400 rpms. I then apply more throttle. AlSo if I'm going up hill under load then down hill I must adjust the throttle again as it gets very fast. Don't have to do this on my 98 3930 tractor. Maybe old tractors are just not the same.

I think there is some problem with your governor if you're getting those big speed changes with that type of a change in load. The speed changes should be on the order order ~100 rpm.

/ Ford 4000SU Diesel Governor Problems #10  
I think there is some problem with your governor if you're getting those big speed changes with that type of a change in load. The speed changes should be on the order order ~100 rpm.

Agreed. If fuel and air are in adequate supply, remove the injection pump and get it repaired by a competent diesel shop, or replace it.