Diesel 3000 rod knock at idle

/ Diesel 3000 rod knock at idle #1  

Laneman

Bronze Member
My diesel 3000 occasionally knocks at low idle, only after working it hard. During normal operation it doesn't do it. If I raise the throttle some it goes away. I bought it a few months ago, seller said engine was recently overhauled.

/ Diesel 3000 rod knock at idle #3  
Sometimes an injector or injector pump problem will make it sound like a knock, too. Just an idea.... [ RickB, I have to learn to type faster.... ]

/ Diesel 3000 rod knock at idle #4  
Could there be a hot spot in a cylinder (like a carbon buildup or a valve burning)?

/ Diesel 3000 rod knock at idle #5  
Did the previous owner pay for the overhaul or do it him self. You may be able to ask the engine builder to listen. It could be injector line noise as well.

Dan

/ Diesel 3000 rod knock at idle
I recently added a loader with a front mounted pump, but it was making the noise before that. I was thinking maybe the engine oil is cheap or thin. I have a truck that knocks when cheap oil is in it.

/ Diesel 3000 rod knock at idle #7  
Sometimes piston slap is confused with rod knock. Piston slap is not unusual after a rebuild.

/ Diesel 3000 rod knock at idle #8  
does it have a working oil sender / lamp.. or mechanical gauge?

if you think it's cheap oil.. or thinned? why havn't you changed it yet... that lil 3 cyl don't hold $enough$ oil to even play around guessing about oil quality.

go put a double dose of seafoam in the fuel tank, dunp a quart of atf into the crank case.. start and run her till warm, kill engine.. drain oil.. repalce with some good 15-40 and don't forget the filter.

then run it.. pay attention tot oil indicator and exhaust color for a bit.

ps.. I'm also a fan of the lil blue bottles of diesel fuel cleaner from prestone.. found at palces like walmart. I got a load of watered fuel once and was making my powerstroke run like junk.. one blue bottle and some seafoam fixed it right up.

check yer fuel fitler too.. IE.. CHANGE them..

soundguy

/ Diesel 3000 rod knock at idle #10  
My diesel 3000 occasionally knocks at low idle, only after working it hard. During normal operation it doesn't do it. If I raise the throttle some it goes away

The knock goes away as RPM's are increased. Might this indicate low oil pressure at idle RPM's?

Has a check been done on the oil pressure?

On the overhaul was the oil pump rebuilt? Did the bottom end get done?
:):)