TC33DA headlights not working

/ TC33DA headlights not working #1  

Wanderer

Hi Everyone,

My neighbor's TC33DA's headlights are not working. The switch lights on the dash and the fuse is fine. Any thoughts? Could it be a relay? If so, is there a way to tell if it is bad without replacing it first?

/ TC33DA headlights not working #2  
Seems like I had that problem once. Kept looking at the fuses. Turns out I wasn't pushing the on/off switch far enough. Since I don't use it at night or normally need the lights that is an excuse for not doing it right.

/ TC33DA headlights not working #3  
With the switch in the proper position to make the head lamps turn on, test to see if there is power. You can use a known working head light or a 12 volt car horn. If there is no voltage and the horn was making a good ground , go back to the fuse to see if you are getting 12 volts out. Always try the simple things first to make the fault show its hand.
Craig Clayton

/ TC33DA headlights not working #4  
Hi Everyone,

My neighbor's TC33DA's headlights are not working. The switch lights on the dash and the fuse is fine. Any thoughts? Could it be a relay? If so, is there a way to tell if it is bad without replacing it first?

Does your neighbor have an operator's manual with a schematic? If he does, look for the headlight relay and then see if there is an identical one he can swap it with. If not, he will have to measure to see if current is applied to the relay coil when the switch is on. If the coil has current, then he needs to check and see if the contacts are closing to send 12 volts to the lights. So to answer your question, yes, you can tell if the relay is bad, but it takes a schematic, reading it, finding the relay, and troubleshooting. Easier said than done sometimes. Sorry, I don't have access to the schematic, so that's all I can suggest.

/ TC33DA headlights not working
Thanks for the replies everyone. I do have the manual with the schematic and will check it along with seeing if there is another relay. Come to think of it the switch feels a little funny. I may take it apart to see what is going on in it as well. Will post updates.

Cheers

/ TC33DA headlights not working
With the switch in the proper position to make the head lamps turn on, test to see if there is power. You can use a known working head light or a 12 volt car horn. If there is no voltage and the horn was making a good ground , go back to the fuse to see if you are getting 12 volts out. Always try the simple things first to make the fault show its hand.
Craig Clayton

I will see if I can get my hands on a voltmeter for this. Good idea.

/ TC33DA headlights not working #7  
If the switch feels funny, make sure you are getting 12 out when you turn it on. Jump 12v across switch to rule it out.

/ TC33DA headlights not working #8  
Here's another tip on reading NH Schematics. The relays, switches, and lamps all have a designation on the page and a key at the bottom of the page saying what the particular callout number is. I look up the function of each item on the key and pencil in that name beside the switch, relay, or light. It makes troubleshooting so easy.