Ford 1710 tractor starting problem part 2

/ Ford 1710 tractor starting problem part 2 #1  

Francis Kingz

Hi,

I had asked a previous question about a starting problem with my Ford 1710 tractor. At that time the tractor was cranking but not starting. I used the helpful advise I got on here to fix the problem but I now have a new problem.

As of last week I had the tractor starting and running fine. I then made the mistake of disconnecting all of the electrical connections I could easily see and cleaning them with brake cleaner and wd40. Now the tractor will not crank at all.

Battery connections are good. Bought new cables. Preheat glows. Battery is fully charged but nothing happens when I turn the key. Dashboard lights, headlights and gauges not working either but they haven't been for awhile.

Is there something simple like a fuse I could have popped somewhere?

Any suggestions where I should start looking to try to solve this problem.

Thank you very much. Appreciate any help. New to working on tractors.

/ Ford 1710 tractor starting problem part 2 #2  
I would retrace all wires I removed; making sure I had the schematic with me to verify everything is hooked up coorectly. Check to see if you have a fuse by the starter motor. Main fuse located there. With a volt meter, do you have power to the starter switch? Just a few ideas to start with.

/ Ford 1710 tractor starting problem part 2
Thanks for the reply.

Don't mean to ask a stupid question but what would the main fuse by the starter look like? General idea.

/ Ford 1710 tractor starting problem part 2 #4  
IMHO.....Im going to bet it is not going to be a fuse... if it was running before you took the wires off and cleaned them, then nothing at all (not a single click/pop), im thinking one of the wire connections is not in the same spot as it was before you cleaned them, or now not making a connection....spend a little time where your mix up was most likely to occur and see if you can spot it. It would be like trying to troubleshoot your mags and feed ramp to see why your AR is now double feeding when the spent case is still in the chamber. If you still want to check fuses though...On my 1700 all the fuses are in front of the drivers left knee, take off the two screws holding the plate and youll see all of them.

/ Ford 1710 tractor starting problem part 2 #5  
your unit should have a fusible link right by the starter solenoid. Check it.

Thanks for all the help. Tractor started to start up again all on its own. Never got a chance to try anything. When I get a free day I am going to take my time and look everything over real close to see if I can figure it out.

Still don't have headlights and or the two red lights in the tach or the temperature gauge. They occasionally come on on their own. But at least it is running, for now.

Thanks again.

/ Ford 1710 tractor starting problem part 2 #7  
As your problem appears to be intermittent, I'd start looking at things that make and break contact. Items like switches (starter/on/off switch for sure), and anything else that your tractor has for safety. Not sure about the 1710, but I seem to recall my 1720 had a PTO safety switch and a neutral safety switch. Also, I'd check relays, including the starter solenoid. The problem with the lights could be related, or not. That could be a fuse, or somebody messed with the wiring (or rodent damage), or again, maybe the starter/on/off switch.

Good luck. I'd suggest you get this figured out before you start to use the tractor any distance away. Not much fun working on equipment in the field or woods, especially this time of year.

/ Ford 1710 tractor starting problem part 2 #8  
Francis, using brake cleaner and WD40 is not the best choice for electrical contact/connector cleaning. Either of those may contribute to poor connections and may even have some interaction to cause corrosion. The best cleaner for electrical connections is contact cleaner like this from Amazon.

Look on the left side of your steering wheel on the vertical face below the instrument panel. There should be a rectangular cover easily removable with a couple of screws. There are two fuses behind the cover. Check those fuses to make sure one is not blown.

Thanks for all the help.

Not really good at working on machines but am going to give it shot. Found basic wiring diagram online. I will be spending my next day off taking things apart and checking connections. I won't be using any WD-40 again.

Tractor had spoiled me with 2 years of trouble free operation. Bought it from a widow. It had been sitting outside uncovered for 3 years. Bushes growing up through it. Replaced battery and it started right up. Got kind of spoiled until now.

It is for sure worth the effort getting it going again. Solid little tractor. Probably outlive me.

/ Ford 1710 tractor starting problem part 2 #10  
crc makes a good contact cleaner

soundguy