T2320 Toolbox Kit...a little disappointing

/ T2320 Toolbox Kit...a little disappointing #1  

peterssj4034

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland T2320, New Holland T4.95
Let me first say that I absolutely love my T2320. I bought it new last spring, upgrading from a TZ24DA, which I also was very happy with, it just became too small for some of the projects I had looming on the property.

The TZ24DA came with a toolbox, mounted behind the seat, and a plastic cup holder molded into the fender. When I bought the T2320, it was delivered sans toolbox or cup holder. When I inquired about this, I was told it was an add-on, and that I needed to order it. I was a little disappointed that the salesman didn't tell me this, but I also didn't know to ask. Anyway, not a big deal, since I managed without them through the summer. I could have used the toolbox - obviously very handy - the cup holder wasn't an issue, as I would just put a jug on the operators platform, plenty of room, without getting in the way. I finally ordered New Holland's kit last week, excited to install it this coming weekend. The metal is quality, and the toolbox seems sturdy enough, but the "cup holder" is little more than two holes milled into a slab of steel. Again, this is not a big deal, since it won't be used much, but the fenders on the tractor look like they are designed to fit a molded accessory.

Am I wrong about this? Being too picky? Is there an aftermarket for these that might not look so clunky? The way these things sit in the air, above the fender, it looks like they are an elbow smacker waiting to happen.

I have attached a few pictures of the kit, and one picture of the tractor, still at the dealer's, before it was delivered to me. You can see the left fender, and the indentation. I use the handles on the fender when working; I hope the toolbox (designed for the left fender) doesn't get in the way.

Seth

Attachments

• DSC00109.jpg
    DSC00109.jpg
    945.4 KB · Views: 375
  • DSC00110.jpg
    DSC00110.jpg
    1,007.3 KB · Views: 783
  • DSC00111.jpg
    DSC00111.jpg
    1,018 KB · Views: 605
  • IMG00015-20100504-0656.jpg
    IMG00015-20100504-0656.jpg
    740.5 KB · Views: 747
   / T2320 Toolbox Kit...a little disappointing #2  
The indentation on the front of the left fender is for a molded plastic toolbox. It's a vertical box that opens from the top, OK for some tools. Has a removeable tray in the top. The top lid of the box has a single cup holder molded into it, but its about useless. Very shallow, cup or bottle falls over easily.

/ T2320 Toolbox Kit...a little disappointing
That's what I thought I should be getting. I'll have to make some calls to see if what you described is available. I just think the current setup will get in the way.

Seth

/ T2320 Toolbox Kit...a little disappointing #4  
That's what I thought I should be getting. I'll have to make some calls to see if what you described is available. I just think the current setup will get in the way.

Seth

The toolbox is part number 86402046. It's $107 and works pretty well. If you glue a piece of iron into the cup holder and put a stick-on magnet on the bottom of your cup, it will hold much better.

/ T2320 Toolbox Kit...a little disappointing #5  
Wow, my local metal fabricator could have come up with something better than that cup holder. Hope they didn't soak you too much for that. I agree, it sure looks like the upper fender appears to have been designed for something better. I'd look at other "Deluxe" tractors they may have on the lot.

When I had my Ford/NH 1720, I went to the JD dealer and bought a cup holder designed to mount to the top of the fender for something less than $10. It was plastic, but with metal clips to help to hold tightly whatever you set in it, and it was several inches deep, so nothing ever fell out. Maybe they still sell them. At my local JD dealer, they were just shelf/instock items.

The toolbox in the kit you show may work, but I know the one (Jim has already identified) that mounts to the lower-front of the fender (where the two black buttons are) will fit easily and well, and not get in your way.

/ T2320 Toolbox Kit...a little disappointing
The toolbox is part number 86402046. It's $107 and works pretty well. If you glue a piece of iron into the cup holder and put a stick-on magnet on the bottom of your cup, it will hold much better.

Thanks Jinman. The part number I had in my book was different, 710990046, I believe.

Seth

/ T2320 Toolbox Kit...a little disappointing #7  

Jim, I believe that is the same vertical tool box w/removable tray and cup holder on top that came with my TC40S. Unfortunately, the moulded plastic catch lip part located on the hinged top cap has ripped open from above and will not effectively clamp down anymore. The top cap is moulded hollow and I have to date tried JB WELD twice on the outside to no avail. I might have to cut it open and re-enforce from the inside. I don't think I ever over tightened the stainless steel adjusting nut. Has anyone dealt with this problem?

/ T2320 Toolbox Kit...a little disappointing #8  
Has anyone dealt with this problem?

Mine is also busted and just stays closed with gravity. I've considered a repair, but it hasn't really been necessary since I don't use the cup holder.

/ T2320 Toolbox Kit...a little disappointing #9  
Add another one to the busted top on that tool box. Mine is a busted hinge. I thought mine was the only one but I guess it's just poor design. On occasions that top comes off in my hand when I go into there for something. Pops back on tho.

Seth,

My TC40 sits out in the weather, don't know if your tractor will be under cover all the time. If you get that vertical tool box and the tractor is out in the weather, remember that the cup holder will fill with water. If your on the ground and open that top you're gonna get a cup full of water down your chest. Took me a few times before I started standing aside before opening it. :laughing:

/ T2320 Toolbox Kit...a little disappointing #10  
Fred, I think it's amazing how we all share the same "events" with our toolboxes. I could have written your post just the same as you. I've learned to flip the top and jump out of the way of the water from the cup holder and my top hinge has been disjointed several times, but snaps back into place really easy. I rate that toolbox as "not the best" but far better than nothing.:)