Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    New Holland TC40D

Default Re: temporary relay defeat

Well, works like a charm. Correctly...

Now, for the steering. The telescoping steering works fine, but the tilt does not. The lever is stuck...
    RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

Quote Originally Posted by RobertN View Post
    Well, works like a charm. Correctly...
    Woohoo! . . . That's the sound NH makes everytime it sells another glowplug timer relay.
    Jim

Tractor
    New Holland TC 35 & TC40D

Thanks for the picture of the relay boards. After giving mine a blow job it has less dust. :-)

Anyway does anyone have a layout of the boards identifying the various relays? K3, K4, etc.

Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Lehman View Post
    Anyway does anyone have a layout of the boards identifying the various relays? K3, K4, etc.
    Jerry, welcome to TBN. Up above the forum is the "Search" tab. If you had used that tab and searched for "relays" in the New Holland Owning/Operating forum, one of the first threads would have been this one where I posted an illustration of the relays. They are identified by name and not by number (K1, K2, etc). The callout numbers have no cross-reference to the actual relay numbers shown on schematics. Even the Illustrated Parts Catalog online identifies them by name instead of number. It's a wacky system, guaranteed to confuse.

If you learn to use Search on these forums, you'd be surprised at the info you can find.
    Jim

Tractor
    New Holland TC40D

Thank you so much for the information. I took AndyG's advice too and installed a push button in the dash wired to pins 3 and 6 and it works great! I just hold in the button for 5 seconds and it fires right up. It was 20 degrees this morning and it started with no problem. Thanks again, Don

Quote Originally Posted by jinman View Post
    Robert, I looked at the circuit and there is a simple jumper you can do to get the tractor started if you want. The glow plug TIMER just supplies a ground to the coil of the glow plug POWER relay. With the plug removed from the TIMER, jumper pin 3 to pin 6 in the plug and you'll get glow plugs ON. Hold this for 5 or 6 seconds, remove jumper, and then quickly hit the ignition switch and I'll bet it will fire right off. This is a low current circuit, so a tiny little jumper wire will work fine.

Edit: If you look into the back of the plug, pins 3 and 6 are the pins where the black and brown wires attach. The orange and white wires are power to the timer.

Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Don54 View Post
    Thank you so much for the information. I took AndyG's advice too and installed a push button in the dash wired to pins 3 and 6 and it works great! I just hold in the button for 5 seconds and it fires right up. It was 20 degrees this morning and it started with no problem. Thanks again, Don
    Don, it's been over 1-1/2 yr since I posted that tip and I'd forgotten posting it. Thanks for the reminder and thanks for your confidence in my advice. In the meantime, I've found sources on eBay for timers at much better prices. These seem to be common to New Hollands and Kubotas.
    Jim

Tractor
    New Holland TC35DA

I have a TC35DA and hve determined that the glow plug timer is faulty. My research found testing info that the timer can be temporarily and quickly bypassed with the harness connector removed by jumping the brown to the black wire in the harness with the ignition switch on. Bypassing too long can burn up the glow plugs but I confirmed this to be a good system check. My question involves trying a kubota part to replace this pricey timer. Prices on NGK timer S81NF are between $71 and $89.E bay parts search has a kubota NGK S81NL 12 volt timer for about $12! Tempted to try it as it has the same case and pin configuration. Has anyone else tried this? Could someone let me know how long their glow plugs stay lit with timer S81NF? (current New Holland Part #SBA385870301) Thanks, Randy

Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    Tractor

Yes, the kubota timer works fine though it might vary from your original by a couple extra seconds. You'll never know the difference. I keep two of them for spares.
    Jim

Tractor
    New Holland TC35DA

Thanks Jim I'll order up a couple today.

Tractor
    Case DX33 Farmall

Quote Originally Posted by jinman View Post
    Yes, the kubota timer works fine though it might vary from your original by a couple extra seconds. You'll never know the difference. I keep two of them for spares.

This is an older post so I just wanted to check in and see if this Kubota relay is a long term fix, either of you guys have long term luck with it?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast