Ford 4000SU turns too tight.. Help!

/ Ford 4000SU turns too tight.. Help! #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
OK i have a 1971 Ford 4000SU that turns so tight it contacts the radius rods and is wearing on them. Can someone help me on how to adjust this out. Currently i have the tires just a little wider than stock and i'm running 7.50 x 16's which is one size larger than original. Also the 7.50's x 16's came on the 4610SU tractors new. Anyway, this tractor has been like this since i purchased it 5 years ago. Now i have totally rebuilt the front end and still have the problem. One thing i've noticed is the RH drag link measures 27.75 from center of drag link end to end of threads at other end. From what i can tell link should measure just over 29". Also, on the LH side the drag link measures 32" and i believe this was used on the industrial tractors as the correct link should measure 28.125 i believe. Can anyone verify this for me or provide any additional pointers? Thanks for your help...

/ Ford 4000SU turns too tight.. Help! #2  
if it turns as sharp to each side ( if they are even in other words.. and not sharper to one side ).. I'd widen the axle and/or dish the front rims out.

soundguy

/ Ford 4000SU turns too tight.. Help!
if it turns as sharp to each side ( if they are even in other words.. and not sharper to one side ).. I'd widen the axle and/or dish the front rims out.

soundguy

Thanks for the response soundguy. However, i'm already pretty wide and it does turn left slightly more than right. The other thing i've discovered is that most of the parts shops i've called recommend just over 29" drag links on the right and just over 28" link on the left. Currently i have 27 3/4 on the right and 32 on the left. This may be part of my issue. I'm assuming theres also some adjustment in how tight the tractor turns but maybe theres not. Any additional thoughts?

Thanks,

/ Ford 4000SU turns too tight.. Help! #4  
Does it have stops that limit the amount of turn?:)

/ Ford 4000SU turns too tight.. Help! #5  
The different distances and over sized tires would give you a problem.

The different distances and over sized tires would give you a problem.

Ok then i think its the different differences in length as i'm only 1 size oversized and they ran these same tires on the later tractors. From what i can see all the parts are the same for later tractors so really don't expect being 1 size larger causing any issues. Besides i even have the wheels set out 2 or so holes further than factory which also helps with added space.

/ Ford 4000SU turns too tight.. Help! #7  
the os tires can be corrected by dishing.. however if a draglink is way too long.. that could be a source of the too sharp turn on that side. I personally don't have the draglink sizes handy.. rickb probably knows.

soundguy

the os tires can be corrected by dishing.. however if a draglink is way too long.. that could be a source of the too sharp turn on that side. I personally don't have the draglink sizes handy.. rickb probably knows.

soundguy

thanks soundguy. I just received the new draglinks so i'll get them on and see what happens.

/ Ford 4000SU turns too tight.. Help! #9  
post back. and remember the dish and axle width adjustment.

soundguy