Hyd / Trans oil for cold weather/ Ford 1900

/ Hyd / Trans oil for cold weather/ Ford 1900 #1  

Train

Silver Member
What's good for Cold, and I mean cold weather?

/ Hyd / Trans oil for cold weather/ Ford 1900 #2  
I think I'd talk to your New Holland dealer about some New Holland F200 synthetic or Case Hytran Ultra SSL. They are both superior synthetic blends designed for temperatures down to -40 degrees F.

/ Hyd / Trans oil for cold weather/ Ford 1900
Okay, and are those good for year round?

/ Hyd / Trans oil for cold weather/ Ford 1900 #4  
Yes, unless the outside temperature goes above +120F.

120 ain't happening in my my lifetime and at -40 with an open cab, I'm staying hidden inside. Thanks, I'll check those out this afternoon.

/ Hyd / Trans oil for cold weather/ Ford 1900 #6  
I've been using F200 for two years all seasons no ill effects the loader is snappy in the wintertime less pump noise an easy shifts when it's 13 below Fahrenheit, my concern was during the Spring and summer months pulling plows and hay stacking no issues at all tractor runs quieter less gear noise , the only downside is the price about double the price of the standard oil but I really need my tractor during the winter months we get a lot of mostly lake effect snows take care

/ Hyd / Trans oil for cold weather/ Ford 1900 #7  
Could you be having a moisture problem insted of an oil problem. I change the hyd. oil in my 1900 every fall. Over the summer it always accumilates moisture. When winter time comes the moisture turns to ice and plugs the filter. If you fill out your profile it would give those trying to help moe info on the type of weather you are dealing with.
Bill

I'll explain, and yes I'm ready to be scolded. :eek:

I'm in southern Alberta. I've seen it drop down to -40c but of course I don't use the tractor when it's that cold. To much of a wimp. I have run it at -30c but that's when it was in a heated shop and plugged in. I've never had hydraulic problems before even with it sitting outside in -20ish weather. If it started, it was good to go. Now when it gets down to -10c, I have to drive it up the road a half mile and back to warm up the oil, then it's fine. Now the bad part.

Keep in mind times have been hard. You know how sometimes you can afford to spend the nickels but not the dimes. Doesn't make sense but that's how you're forced to operate. So I find a store that sells bulk oil in their automotive department. I asked a local mechanic about it and he says he uses it in some of his older cars that burn oil. He also used it in an older tractor and started having trouble with the hydraulics, but thought it was coincidence. I hadn't talked to him since then.

So now I'm having trouble. I'd thought about the moisture thing, and the oil in the trans does look kinda iffy. Not as bad as what's in some pictures on this forum but not quit right either. So only having nickels to spend, I bought the same oil that we've been using in years prior. Since the tractors sitting under a shelter right now with no heat I have to wait a couple days for a break in the weather to work on it. I'll drain the oil, pull the filter and clean it up.

One question though. Is pulling the plugs and waiting enough? Obviously there's going to be some oil left in the system. The pump, the tube from the pump to the transmission, that kind of thing. Once the filters out should a guy crank the engine a but to force these areas out?

/ Hyd / Trans oil for cold weather/ Ford 1900 #9  
Are you saying that you put engine oil in the hyd. system :eek:. If so you may have caused your self a lot of greif in the future. Do you have a service manual. I would drain out all the oil. The oil should drain out of the lines going to the pump. Lower the TPH all the way to get the oil out of the lift cyl.. I would also drain the oil from the cyl. and lines on the loader.Get some uthf that meets ford spec. m2c-134a. This should be easy to find at any farm store. It should take about 6.5 gal. I would not put f200 in at this point in case you have caused other problems with the wrong oil.
When you start it up after changing the oil you may have to crack open the high pressure line ( small line ) at the pump to bleed air out.

Last edited:
Uh no. I didn't explain in enough detail. The cheap oil comes in all types. Motor oil, auto trans, etc. This includes Hydraulic/Transmission oil for tractors. I just found it strange that we both used the stuff in our tractors and had the same cold weather problems. The f200 is $175 for an 18 litre pail at my dealership and that's just not do-able right now. Like I said, the regular stuff from the farm store just never gave me problems before so I think it may be this cheap oil. Could be moisture I guess. In any event, draining it all and cleaning the system, then using my old brand I'm sure will solve the problem. ( pretty sure )