Hyd. oil heater for 1900

/ Hyd. oil heater for 1900 #1  

linrick1

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 1900, Steiner 430
Anyone ever installed a 110v immersion heater in their trans/rear end to keep the hyd. oil from freezing? In keeping with my policy of "everything I touch will cease to operate", now the hydros are froze on our tractor. This has happened to me before, and I usually just thaw it out with our space heater and a tarp and off I go.....but my space heater croaked two days ago and despite going right through the thing, still will not work.......tarps probably broke too, touched that the other day.......Rick

Attachments

• 12-21-08%20026.jpg
    12-21-08%20026.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 121
   / Hyd. oil heater for 1900 #2  
I've been having that problem lately and have to wait for it to warm up a bit before I can remedy it. In the meantime, I put a magnetic heater that I had on the side of the reservoir. Warmed the case enough that the snow on top of it melted but still no go with the hydraulics. Either the filters plugged on mine or it's still froze up somewhere else in the system. I'm running the same loader as you and also have a blade out front that uses hydraulics.

/ Hyd. oil heater for 1900 #3  
Anyone ever installed a 110v immersion heater in their trans/rear end to keep the hyd. oil from freezing? In keeping with my policy of "everything I touch will cease to operate", now the hydros are froze on our tractor. This has happened to me before, and I usually just thaw it out with our space heater and a tarp and off I go.....but my space heater croaked two days ago and despite going right through the thing, still will not work.......tarps probably broke too, touched that the other day.......Rick

The problem is the moisture in the oil. I think magnetic heater is better than directly cooking the oil. the problem is the heat might not get to the orifices of the spool valve and the rest of hyd system. I might use a blow drier or heat gun to gently warm spool valve and the lift piston head along with transmission case warming.

JC,

/ Hyd. oil heater for 1900 #4  
A heat gun only goes so far when it's -25c and the winds blowing. That's why in my case, I'm waiting to do and oil change and filter cleaning. It's going to warm up any day according to the weather man. And if you can't trust the weather man.:laughing:

Rick, how's that blade on the bucket work for ya?

/ Hyd. oil heater for 1900 #5  

I have not, but I have used magnetic heaters, and they work just fine.

/ Hyd. oil heater for 1900 #6  

The space heater is probably your best bet for getting it thawed out. And when you do, before your operate, open the drain and see if you can drain the water off. You'll spill some fluid but you may get a good bit of water out.

/ Hyd. oil heater for 1900 #7  
With todays oils the water will not seperate. It becomes emulisified with the oil. The only way to remove the moisture is to change the oil.
Bill

/ Hyd. oil heater for 1900
Thanks for the help eveyone, this morning I crawled under the old girl with the rosebud on my torch and warmed up the area around the suction filter. It didnt take to awful long, maybe a half hour, and the hydraulics began to resume working. A little jerky at first, but smoothed right out and worked as advertised for the 3 something hours I plowed. I hadnt thought of how poorly oil transfers heat but I understand why a magnetic heater would be the way to go so I'll give that a shot. The plow works really well, but at some point I want to build a mount that will bring the blade closer to the front of the tractor 'cause that thing hangs way out there. As for the space heater method, I agree entirely - but again, my space heater has picked this unfortunate time to expire...and has thwarted my every attempt to repair it. Ill fix that too....thanks again ,Rick