Tractor
    Ford 1900, Case 648

Default Hyd. oil heater for 1900

Anyone ever installed a 110v immersion heater in their trans/rear end to keep the hyd. oil from freezing? In keeping with my policy of "everything I touch will cease to operate", now the hydros are froze on our tractor. This has happened to me before, and I usually just thaw it out with our space heater and a tarp and off I go.....but my space heater croaked two days ago and despite going right through the thing, still will not work.......tarps probably broke too, touched that the other day.......Rick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -12-21-08-20026-jpg  
    Ford 1900 FWD with 771 FEL
    Woods 750 BH
    Salsco 624 Chipper
    York Rake
    CTI Forks
    7.5' Fisher P/A plow
    Case 648 w/loader-(work in progress)
    Timberwolf TW-P1 Splitter
    Wood-Mizer 40HD Sawmill
    Stihl 026 Pro/036 Pro/HT101/BR 340
    Honda Foreman ES
    John Deere Gator
    Lincoln Weldanpower AC 225
    Simplicity 870 28" Snowblower
    Meteor 66" Snowblower
    Gravely LI/30" Brush Deck/Sulky
    Gravely 5665/50" Finish Deck/Steering Sulky

Bronze Member

Default Re: Hyd. oil heater for 1900

I've been having that problem lately and have to wait for it to warm up a bit before I can remedy it. In the meantime, I put a magnetic heater that I had on the side of the reservoir. Warmed the case enough that the snow on top of it melted but still no go with the hydraulics. Either the filters plugged on mine or it's still froze up somewhere else in the system. I'm running the same loader as you and also have a blade out front that uses hydraulics.

Tractor
    Ford 1700, Kubota MX-4700

Quote Originally Posted by linrick1 View Post
    Anyone ever installed a 110v immersion heater in their trans/rear end to keep the hyd. oil from freezing? In keeping with my policy of "everything I touch will cease to operate", now the hydros are froze on our tractor. This has happened to me before, and I usually just thaw it out with our space heater and a tarp and off I go.....but my space heater croaked two days ago and despite going right through the thing, still will not work.......tarps probably broke too, touched that the other day.......Rick
    The problem is the moisture in the oil. I think magnetic heater is better than directly cooking the oil. the problem is the heat might not get to the orifices of the spool valve and the rest of hyd system. I might use a blow drier or heat gun to gently warm spool valve and the lift piston head along with transmission case warming.

JC,
    Ford 1700, 2wd.
    Kubota MX-4700DT, Gear transmission with LA 884 loader, Q/A and HD bucket.
    60" Woods Rotary Cutter, home made (3-pt boom and a Row Hipper) ,King Kutter( 5 ft Tiller,Middle Buster,Single Row Cultivator,Carry-all, 5 ft blade, 6 ft Landscaping Rake ,30" Dirt Scoop and a 4'x4' Drag Harrow)

Bronze Member

A heat gun only goes so far when it's -25c and the winds blowing. That's why in my case, I'm waiting to do and oil change and filter cleaning. It's going to warm up any day according to the weather man. And if you can't trust the weather man.

Rick, how's that blade on the bucket work for ya?

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC40D

I have not, but I have used magnetic heaters, and they work just fine.

Tractor
    New Holland TD95D, Ford 4610 & Ferguson TO-30

The space heater is probably your best bet for getting it thawed out. And when you do, before your operate, open the drain and see if you can drain the water off. You'll spill some fluid but you may get a good bit of water out.

Tractor
    Ford 1900 FWD Kubota F2100E

With todays oils the water will not seperate. It becomes emulisified with the oil. The only way to remove the moisture is to change the oil.
    Bill

Tractor
    Ford 1900, Case 648

Thanks for the help eveyone, this morning I crawled under the old girl with the rosebud on my torch and warmed up the area around the suction filter. It didnt take to awful long, maybe a half hour, and the hydraulics began to resume working. A little jerky at first, but smoothed right out and worked as advertised for the 3 something hours I plowed. I hadnt thought of how poorly oil transfers heat but I understand why a magnetic heater would be the way to go so I'll give that a shot. The plow works really well, but at some point I want to build a mount that will bring the blade closer to the front of the tractor 'cause that thing hangs way out there. As for the space heater method, I agree entirely - but again, my space heater has picked this unfortunate time to expire...and has thwarted my every attempt to repair it. Ill fix that too....thanks again ,Rick
    Ford 1900 FWD with 771 FEL
    Woods 750 BH
    Salsco 624 Chipper
    York Rake
    CTI Forks
    7.5' Fisher P/A plow
    Case 648 w/loader-(work in progress)
    Timberwolf TW-P1 Splitter
    Wood-Mizer 40HD Sawmill
    Stihl 026 Pro/036 Pro/HT101/BR 340
    Honda Foreman ES
    John Deere Gator