Chains Tire chains for TC40D

/ Tire chains for TC40D #1  

TCowner

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4720 Cab
My TC40D is my first tractor with industrial tires (can't recall the size right now). I will be using the tractor with the loader and a 7' rear blade for snow removal. I will be using it on a gravel driveway as well as a blacktop one. Will I need tire chains? Is there a clearance problem with the fenders? Where can I get the chains?

/ Tire chains for TC40D #2  
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tirechains.com>tirechains.com</A> is supposed to have a good selection.

Your need for chains will depend on the conditions. Do you have big hills? Lots of ice? If not, you can probably get by without. Keep in mind, no one (except the wallet) ever complained about having too much traction.

/ Tire chains for TC40D #3  
Re: A little tight but work great

I have the TC40-D, R4's, and bought the chains from Tirechain.com (duo grip) as well as the spring tensioners. I just ordered the little tool that pulls the chains together because I think I can get one more link out).

This is my 2nd snow season with them on. I also am on gravel and have a decent hill that is very icy. They definitely help. But once you get them on, you won't want to take them off as they are a bugger to get on and get tight.

Here is what I find. Make sure that you don't leave any extra links on the back hook. They bang the fender and worse, jam up in your 3-pt hitch if you have a wide implement (as I do, a blade). I looked down the other day to find that one of the chains de-installed itself because that extra link jammed into the 3-pt hitch and completely straightened that back hook! I have since removed the extra link and made a concerted effort to make the implement connection as narrow as possible.

Also, to the person who recommend laying the chain OVER the top of the tire and then driving forward just a little (instead of the old lay the chain out and drive over it technique) is a feakin genious. Makes all the difference when dealing with 100lb chains...it was easier and 1/2 the time as the old method I had been using since I was a kid. You can teach an old dog new tricks!

/ Tire chains for TC40D #4  
TC25D with R1 8ft blade in 4WD. If the snow is heavy and/or deeper than 1ft it's wheel spinning time up the last section of my drive (average pitch>10%). An alternative to chains is always pushing & pulling snow downhill. I fliped the blade 180 degrees & basically spent the winter driving in reverse downhill then zipping back uphill cutting the banks a little. Not an efficent use of your tractor hours, but cheap. This year a Loftness 60" 3pt. is waiting for the deep snow to show. Good thing I had lots of practice driving backwards last year.