Oil & Fuel how high should the fuel be in the filter bowl

/ how high should the fuel be in the filter bowl #1  

kartingdad

Tractor
New Holland TC40DA
Ok, just got done changing the fuel filter in my TC40DA, the top O ring was missing so I had to go parts store running to try to find one that fits, got it all in and before I tightened the bowl ring I turned the fuel on and filled it up most of the way, after tightening it I turned the fuel on and then started the tractor. The fuel went down to maybe 3/4 inch from the bottom, I let it run for about 10 minutes and it seamed to run fine.
My question is, How much fuel should there be in the filter bowl?

/ how high should the fuel be in the filter bowl #2  
Your fuel bowl should be all the way full. If its not filling my itself, then you can loosen the out going line just a little bit, start your tractor, or if it has an electric pump, just turning the key on without starting the motor will do it. When the bowl is full, tighten your fuel line and there you go! Good luck!!

/ how high should the fuel be in the filter bowl #3  
well first off, check to make sure there's not two O-rings on top of that sediment bowl, if you sure there's just one and somehow it got lost or never had one which is hard to believe because without it your tractor would've been leaking all over the place. Next what you have to do is just loosen that top ring until fluid starts to flow around the top of the sediment bowl just put some paper towels to catch the diesel fuel don't be afraid to let it run for a few seconds sometimes air gets trapped in the filter and causes it to run at three quarters full, next make sure you have the exact size O-ring you need or pick it up at your dealer tomorrow the O-ring you have might be letting air in causing the bowl three quarters full PS you don't need to turn the key its gravity fed when you loosen the top ring fluid will just naturally start to flow you might even be all to wiggle the sediment bowl so air can come out. Take care

/ how high should the fuel be in the filter bowl
It was the inside O-ring, crawled around under the tractor with a light and looked up in there, it goes on top of the filter, around the pick up tube. (#21 on NH parts page) I put a 20mm X 26mm O ring in there, the hole on the end of the filter is 20.25mm so it stayed on the pickup tube.
I just read in the owners manual that I need to open a bleed screw up on the pump, but will that allow for the air to get out of the bowl?

/ how high should the fuel be in the filter bowl #5  
you mean the little O-ring for the paper filter i was talking about the big O-ring lol ,just loosen the bowl ring and let fuel run down side once the bowl is full tighten the ring your done all the air will be out of system don't need to open bled valve

/ how high should the fuel be in the filter bowl
Thanks, will do that this morning.
I see in other post people talking about the "water separator". Is that another name for the filter bowl, or is there something else I should be looking for? I did take some real nasty looking junk out of the filter bowl. Thanks again for you help, Don

/ how high should the fuel be in the filter bowl #7  
People call it many different things, fuel bowl is acceptable sentiment bowl whatever you'd like to call it :), any time you change or clean the bowl turn the shutoff valve off loosen the big ring clean out the bottom it gets very dirty in the bottom of that bowl. One other thing don't be afraid to loosen it enough so you can shake it side to side to help chase the air out, sometimes when I replaced the paper filter and I think the bowls is full I tighten the ring and start the tractor and two minutes later I'm at half a bowl shut the tractor down and do the process again this time shaking the bowl and allowing fuel to run all over makes a mess but it's the best way to ensure you don't have to bleed the system that's a pain in the a## . take care