Ford 1720 operations & starting

/ Ford 1720 operations & starting #1  

OldBulldogger

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 1720 4WD
Hi, I am looking to purchase a Ford 1720, 4wd, 2950 hours on it, and with a Ford 7108 loader attached. I found one that I am interested in and have talked to the owner about it.

I would appreciate ANY advice you can give me about these tractors in general and if they are reliable, easy to maintain, things to watch for overall, etc. Would be interested in knowing how well the loaders work on these. Also, the one I am looking at has a 12-12 shuttle shift and the clutch has been replaced on it. Should I be concerned with the hours? Also, the seller made mention when it is real cold in the winter (Wisconsin), he sometimes uses a little ether to help start it? Is that normal? Everything else works as it should. Tractor is solid overall, just not new cosmetically.

Lastly, what is your experience with getting parts for these considering it is about 20 years old. Also, what is a fair price for these? Any advice appreciated.

/ Ford 1720 operations & starting #2  
I have a 1720 4x4 with the 7108 loader.

It has been the best money I ever spent. I bought it about 10 years ago and I've put about half of the 2800+ hours on it that it has now. Other than a few minor repairs here and there, all I've ever had to do was change oils and filters.

This little tractor has done EVERYTHING I've asked of it and believe me, I've asked for more than it should have to give. Latest task was mowing 50 acres of sod with an 11' finish mower. The mower manufacturer stated a minimum of 30 hp needed to pull the mower but the 28 hp in my little 1720 must be Clydesdales cuz she pulls that mower like a dream over that 50 acres.

The only thing you've said that concerns me a little is the use of ether by the PO. Ether shouldn't be used to start an engine that has glow plugs. I'd check out the glow plug system and see what might be wrong there. Maybe a burned out glow plug or two???

My tractor has the 12/4 transmission so I can't really tell you how the 12/12 shuttle performs, but I love my 1720. In fact, I'm getting ready to give her a Mary Kay overhaul this summer.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Last edited:
   / Ford 1720 operations & starting #3  
Had a 1720 with SS before I bought my TC40D with hydro. Sold the 1720 to my dad to replace his old Ford 981. He still has the 1720 and loves it. Extremely reliable and with the SS, it's the next best thing to having a hydro.

I too would be just a little concerned about the use of ether, and whether any damage has been done. That stuff potentially washes away the oil. If he only occasionally used it, probably allright, but who knows? The 1720 has the ability to simply keep holding the key in the "glow" position, even after the glow-plug light goes out, and this keeps feeding current to the plugs. Even when I had mine stored in a little, mostly-open shed in below-0 temps, it started right up. Maybe the owner didn't know about this feature, or maybe there is something wrong. I'd investigate further before buying.

Otherwise, it's a great do-it-all tractor. The 1720 model was one of the most popular (and still is, in the form of the TC-30) tractors Ford/NH made in recent history.

/ Ford 1720 operations & starting #4  
These are great tractors. The hrs seems a little high for a privately owned tractor. I would make sure the 4x4 works properly. Test it out. Dig in a dirt pile. Make sure every thing works BEFORE you buy.
Bill

/ Ford 1720 operations & starting #5  
the 20 series are great tractors.. I had a 1920 for a while.. one of the best tractors I've owned. wish I wouldn''t have traded it..:)

soundguy

/ Ford 1720 operations & starting
Okay, I bought the tractor and I love it. Great little machine and versatile for it's size. Has a Ford 715 blower on it and man does it throw snow!! Everything is in working order and no surprises so far. I did change out the glow plugs and now it starts right up in cold weather without hesitation. I did learn a little in the process however and will point you to my other post -

Help!! Loud engine knocking after changing glowplugs

All was resolved and I learned an interesting thing about carbon build up in cylinders.

Like I said, I am pleased so far and am becoming a loyal fan. Thanks for all the advice!