Tractor
    NH TC29D FWD

Default TC29D Glow Plugs

I am still fighting a glow plug issue. It starts hard in the cold unless I use the block heater for a couple hours. The light on the dash for the glow plugs may or may not come on when the key is turned to the appropriate position - it is sporadic. If the glow plug light does not come on and I turn the key to the preheat position the other lights will dim.

I replaced the relay already. I checked the wire and the bar for voltage - the bar connecting the glow plugs and get 11 volts at the wire and along the bar. I put the bulb and cover from the glow plugs on the back of the dash panel in the oil sensor position and the light works fine.

Is there a way to tell for certain that the glow plugs are working? My instincts are one or more are not due to hard starting. Could I also have a light in the dash issue? Appreciate your help. It seems like I have to figure out a way to determine if the plugs are actually working somehow.

Gold Member

Sounds like you have power to the glow plugs. Remove the bar, then, using an ohmmeter, check the resistance between the terminal and the threads. As I remember, should be around .8-1.2 ohms.