Oil & Fuel New Holland TN70 won't start

/ New Holland TN70 won't start #1  

Noel Roehl

Tractor
New Holland TN70
New Hollqand TN 70 tractor. I was putting fuel into tractor using a 5 gallon can. The plastic nozzle slipped off the can and into the fuel tank. The tank has a long neck on it and I was unable to get it out. A few days later the tractor stopped running. Won't start, turns over. Put more fuel in but no help. Is it possible the plastic nozzle inside the tank is blocking the fuel? If so how do I get out? If I run a wire down the long filler tube could someting be damaged inside the tank? How does one get inside the tank? Need help asap. Have to put hay out for horses. Thanks Noel

/ New Holland TN70 won't start #2  
Noel had a similar problem with my brothers TN 75 I'm assuming your tank is on the bottom, unfortunately you must remove the fuel tank you need to drain the remaining fuel then remove the bolts and supporting brackets it took quite a bit of work in the garage, there were some wires running around his if memory serves he also had a cab tractor. Before you go into all this is it possible that you froze up? Try to drain the water off and see if anything comes out add some 911 to the tank and the fuel filter and see if that helps. Have you changed the fuel filters lately is it possible air got in the system and needs to be bled? Just some things to try before you do catastrophic surgery to remove the fuel tank what was the shape of the fuel cap? I can't imagine it could actually block the pickup on the bottom but you never know. sorry wish I could've been more help but I'm sure someone else will chime in I'll try to call my brother he has a TN 75 shop manual on CD if you need instructions of how to remove the tank its pretty straightforward though take care

/ New Holland TN70 won't start #3  
New Hollqand TN 70 tractor. I was putting fuel into tractor using a 5 gallon can. The plastic nozzle slipped off the can and into the fuel tank. The tank has a long neck on it and I was unable to get it out. A few days later the tractor stopped running. Won't start, turns over. Put more fuel in but no help. Is it possible the plastic nozzle inside the tank is blocking the fuel? If so how do I get out? If I run a wire down the long filler tube could someting be damaged inside the tank? How does one get inside the tank? Need help asap. Have to put hay out for horses. Thanks Noel

I think it's pretty improbable that the filler neck you dropped into the tank is causing your problem. I'm presuming you didn't run it out of fuel.( If you did, you'll need to bleed the fuel system to get it started.)
What ambient temperatures are you working at? Have you replaced your fuel filters and treated your fuel for winter operation? If your temperatures are below freezing, it's quite probable that you have a freezing issue from contaminated fuel. Water from normal condensation in the tank can freeze on the water separator and the filter. You can reduce condensation by keeping the tank full. You hould also drain the filter and the water separator before and after every use of the tractor.

You should change your filters in the late fall before the cold temps get here. A used filter will ice up faster then a newer filter.Treat the fuel with a water dispersant so that you don't get freezing of water around the tank outlet/screen. It may freeze on a filter and you can do something about that. If it freezes around the tank outlet, it's more difficult to clear. I always keep spare fuel filters around so I can change them out if they freeze. If you don't have a spare, drain the filter and the water separator and then heatthem with a heat gun or a blow drier. (BE CAREFUL NOT TO OVERHEAT IT AND CATCH IT ON FIRE!) and let the water drain out. That will get you going again at least for a while.
Cold weather and water contamination are some of the biggest problems with diesels; but if you understand the problems, there are things you can do to reduce the probability of having a shutdown in cold weather.

Last edited:
   / New Holland TN70 won't start #4  
Did you have the fuel can stored inside and had some water in the can because that is a way to put water in your system. I do not know the model but a plastic filler spout should not cause that kind of problem.

Craig Clayton

/ New Holland TN70 won't start #5  
There is a hand driven priming pump (on the fuel distributor?). You could use that to confirm you have fuel (or it is defrosted).

Good luck -- and please report what you found.

Open stations tractors (I think) have a raised tank behind the seat/between the fenders. Ought to be easy to confirm flow. Can't remember where the pick up is on the cab model.