Changing Glow plugs in Ford 1720

/ Changing Glow plugs in Ford 1720 #1  

OldBulldogger

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 1720 4WD
Hello all,

Can anyone tell me how big of a job it is to change out the glowpugs in a Ford 1720? I don't have a manual so any advice would be appreciated. If anyone has any photos of the procedure they could send that would be appreciated.

Thanks.

/ Changing Glow plugs in Ford 1720 #2  
I have a 1320, but looking at the parts diagram for the 1720 on Messicks, everything looks the same. It is actually very simple.

1. Disconnect the electrical connector from the bar that goes around the glow plugs.
2. Loosen the small nuts on top of each glow plug. They don't have to be removed completely.
3. Slide the bar off of the glow plugs. It may be a challenge to get it out from all the injector lines and other tubing.
4. Use a deep well socket and remove each glow plug. Hopefully they are not siezed fast to the block. They should come out just like a spark plug.

Check each new glow plug before installing. To do this, you can use a set of jumper cables. Attach one end to the ground of the battery and the other to the lower threads of the glow plug. Hook the positive set of the jumper cable to the positive side of the battery and touch the top of the glow plug (the small threaded end) and make sure the glow plug heats up. It should start to get hot instantly. Do not hold smooth tip of the glow plug in your hand. When I did this, mine started smoking immediately. About one or two seconds is all you need to check if they work.

To install the plugs, just reverse the order above. Remember to put a small amount of anti-sieze on the threads.

Good luck.

/ Changing Glow plugs in Ford 1720 #3  
Plus the normal tip of using six point socket, and starting by a slight clockwise turn (tighten) to relieve pressure on the threads, then unscrew. Sometimes helps to turn forward and back on the way out, like a tap, to clear deposits from the thread tip.
Jim

/ Changing Glow plugs in Ford 1720 #4  
Jim,

Good point. Talking about cleaning, blow some compressed air around the glow plugs before removing them. This will remove any debris that could be sitting on the flat spot around the plug and keep it from falling inside the engine when the plug is removed.

/ Changing Glow plugs in Ford 1720 #5  
Thank You All. Sorry it took so long to say thanks but I have been having some medical problems. The latest was a triple bypass 3 months ago. Thank God for the VA Hospital.