Cold start problems/opportunities

/ Cold start problems/opportunities #1  

TC25Don

Tractor
TC25D
Hello,
I have a 25D with about 50 hrs. Since it got cold, its a bear to start. It stays in the barn, not outside. I completed the 50 hr maintenance about a month ago, changed the engine oil, refilled with 10-30 NH oil. Filled the tank with fresh #2 from the local truckstop at the same time. By the way, I live in central Ohio.

While doing the 50hr, when I opened the hood, the + battery terminal was very corroded, so much so that the bolt that holds the battery clamp on had corroded in half! I think maybe the battery has been compromised.

Questions....Should I have put 5-30 synthetic in? Do I need an additive in the fuel?

I have a TDI Golf and it starts on the 1st crank!

Thanks
Don

/ Cold start problems/opportunities #2  
Don,

How old is the tractor? Some here have had battery problems

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=nhown&Number=56721&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1>When Good Batteries go bad</A>

There are more threads you can find by searching for Battery

Did you check the water level in the battery? Do you have a volt meter? Check the battery voltage before you start it & after. Should get 12V w/ tractor off, 14+/- when alternator is charging.

How cold does the barn get? Any cows in there to keep your tractor warm? If not, I'd consider a block heater. I keep mine in the attached garage, no problems yet. Even so, I'm considering the block heater to mimimize warm up time. They are cheap insurance.

What exactly do you mean by "a bear to start" Takes forever with the glow plugs? Cranks slow? Makes alot of smoke and or racket when it comes to life? Need more details.

Inspect the fuel filter for signs of the fuel gelling. If you're having a problem with the fuel, it will show up there (plugged filter).

PS your TDI is a much more complex engine & may do funky things like change the timing so that it starts better when cold.

Good luck!

/ Cold start problems/opportunities #3  
Don, check <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=nhown&Number=147063&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1#Post147063>this thread</A> of mine from this past May. I had a similar problem with my battery. I have not had a problem starting, however.

/ Cold start problems/opportunities
I think I had the leaking battery syndrome. The tractor was a new '01 that I bought in the spring of this year. The original battery installed in it had a NOV00 sticker date. Sealed maintenance free but with vents on the top.

It has been cranking slowly, down to the point today that it would not crank at all. VM said voltage ok, but would not even run the glowplugs.

Went to dealer, they gave me a new battery. I cleaned up the battery box area, terminal clamps. Installed the new battery and it fired right up. We'll see how things go from here. It got a little warmer here (45'F), so I will check it again later this week when it turns colder.

Thanks for the help! I really like this little tractor!

Great dealer support from NH so far.

/ Cold start problems/opportunities #5  
Hi Don : What part of the country are you in, I have not received a warm fuzzy from the dealer I chose, hope it changes soon. just wonderoing where you are? Take care

/ Cold start problems/opportunities #6  
Don, also check the red battery cable connection at the starter. Mine was also corroded there. Now appears the little red boot covering the screw terminal at the starter holds water and causes corrosion there.

I live in Springfield and deal with Mechanicsburg Implement. Salesman and counter guys are very helpful and friendly.
They have a bunch of 29D's at the moment if anyone is looking. Ask for Norm.

You guys are right on top of things. Checked the cable where it connects to the starter under the red boot (shrink wrapped on) and sure enough, it was not tight.
Tractor starts right up with the new battery and cable tight!

Any of you guys put an additive in your diesel fuel?

Thanks
Don

/ Cold start problems/opportunities #9  
<font color=blue>Any of you guys put an additive in your diesel fuel?</font color=blue>
Yep, PowerService from TSC.

/ Cold start problems/opportunities #10  
Same here . PowerService .