My 1988 Ford 1520

/ My 1988 Ford 1520 #1  

Johno Geo

Silver Member
Tractor
NH-4060, Ford 1520, JD 345
I bought this little Jewel in 1988 after agonizing about buying American and buying a product whos manufacturer would not be out of business in a few years.
"Arnold" lives at my rural place, in Wisconsin.
I haven't visited in 6 weeks and my expensive car, in the semi heated garage is stone dead. "Arnold" stored in an unheated out building started instantly, as usual!
This machine is such a joy! I have been told so many times, Arnold is underpowered, but knowbody ever told him and when he starts to lug under high load, I slow down (HST).X 4wd.
I have a 60HP 4wd Boomer now and I guess I too feel that Arnold is underpowered, but he has been the best, most reliable machine I have ever owned.
Knock on wood, I have never had any of the problems, I keep reading about.
I just do routine maintanence.
I have dragged items so heavy from the 3pt, the front wheels lifted off the ground, (before I knew better). It is a well designed machine that limits the hydraulics to less that the forces that can damage the machine. Similarly, the FEL. By any measure, Arnold is a well built, well designed machine.
(ask me why I didnt buy Kubota, who owned the compact and subcompact market)
I read so much about failures and problems, I thought I would share my 2 cents with yall..

/ My 1988 Ford 1520 #2  
Feel the same way about my 1988 1720, now in my Dad's possession after he upgraded from his Ford 981.

Great, extremely well built and well-designed machines. Reliable and up to most any task. Mine had/has the 12 x 12 shuttle, which even after using my TC40D for 10 years now, I still find the shuttle pretty darn easy and simple.

/ My 1988 Ford 1520 #3  
Nice post. Great to hear someone giving the thumbs up:thumbsup: about these tractors. Forums are a great way to solve problems, but we don't often hear the good things.

I stumbled across my 1320 last year. Didn't think I could afford a tractor, but when I found out the price, I came up with the funds. Thanks Dad. :D

Compared this tractor to a similar size new Kioti and there was no comparison. The Ford won hands down. Three speed hydro versus two speed, much heavier built, you can curl the bucket and raise the loader arms at the same time, plus it started at a temp of 20 F right off the bat on a Monday morning. You are right about the hydrostat transmission. It is the limiting factor most times, but it will keep you from breaking something. The newer machines might be nice, but this old farm boy likes the simplicity of the 20 series. Almost everything is mechanical. Few electronic components to go bad, other than some safety switches. Keep it greased and oiled and it should last a lifetime. They are built like the old John Deere A's and Farmall M's of half a century ago, built to last.

/ My 1988 Ford 1520 #4  
Ditto to all of that. I just wished I had FWA, Power Steering and FEL on my rig.. that's all:D:D

/ My 1988 Ford 1520 #5  
see that should tell every1 how long a sub compact an compact tractor will last.

/ My 1988 Ford 1520 #6  
see that should tell every1 how long a sub compact an compact tractor will last.

Yep, mine is 30 year young and just coming out of puberty. :D:D

/ My 1988 Ford 1520 #7  
Yep, mine is 30 year young and just coming out of puberty. :D:D

Had to chuckle at that. I tell people* that I have a new 20 year old girlfriend. She is blue eyed, silky smooth, and purrs lovingly whenever I stroke her :eek:.................throttle.

*Note that my wife is not included in the definition of "people".

/ My 1988 Ford 1520 #8  
I've owned my 1720 4x4 w/FEL for around 10 years now. It was beat up and banged up from the PO's misuse and abuse, but I've put over 1400 hours on it now and it's never failed me. It starts when I hit the key, and it's done almost everything I've asked of it that a tractor it's size could ..... come to think it of it, it's done some things I wouldn't have expected a 40hp tractor to do.

It's done such a fine job for me that this summer, it's getting a LOT of new sheet metal and a fresh paint job so it'll be as pretty as it is reliable.

Mark

/ My 1988 Ford 1520
I was actually looking for a 1220 Ford in 1988.... and I fell for the 1520..
Over the years ... I considered upgrading to a 2120.
I was told the 1520 was underpowered, but I didn't know better, so it never was..
Now with the Boomer 4060 the 1520 does seem light. I like the EHSS trans....I can only hope the 4060 holds up as well as the 1520...

/ My 1988 Ford 1520 #10  
I have a 1910 which is just a bit bigger. I got it in 1982. It has almost 1300 hours and after 29 years is still running strong. Them older Ford cuts are hard to beat. They are simple too.