Hydraulic filter change

/ Hydraulic filter change #11  
I also am not suggesting changing the fluid. I'm suggesting draining into a clean container, inspecting, and returning it to service. I never suggested changing in any post in this thread unless the oil looks to have contamination. If you feel confident that the oil is okay, I certainly don't think it would wrong to not inspect it and simply change the filters and return to service after a simple topping off.

I'm going to continue to disagree with that strategy.
Not many owners are going to that effort, or will tolerate paying someone else to do it. Dirty oil will show up in the filter; that's what a filter does, trap contaminants. Beyond that, draining oil and pouring it back after a look-see is a great way to introduce more garbage into the oil than it already has in it to begin with.

/ Hydraulic filter change #12  
Beyond that, draining oil and pouring it back after a look-see is a great way to introduce more garbage into the oil than it already has in it to begin with.

Somehow, I just knew you were going to say that.:D:D:D I suppose the fact that I thought you'd say that means I'm also concerned with additional contamination. I think the OP's dealer scared him when he suggested he buy a big jug of oil. He needs 1-gal at most and will probably have almost half left over for topoffs (front axle and power steering also) during the next 250 hours to the 300 hour change. I think you would agree that prefilling filters is a good practice. Besides, changing filters is supposed to get your hands and clothes a bit dirty. It's a guy thing.;)

NWOH_Grizz needs to be aware that the HST filter will be VERY tight. I don't know anyone here on TBN who has not noticed that the factory has a "500 lb gorilla" tightening these filters. He will need a good filter wrench to get that filter off and he needs to tighten back down to nearly as tight as the original due to the high pressures often seen in this system. I use oil filter pliers like these to remove filters.

/ Hydraulic filter change #13  
I like the idea of draining the complete system after 50 hour to ensure that all the crap from manufacturing is out of the system. This gives you an opportunity to inspect the oil and view any contaminate that may be in the oil and allows you to have the option of changing all the oil or filtering out any small particals left in the oil.

/ Hydraulic filter change #14  
I think you would agree that prefilling filters is a good practice.

I do not pre-fill any filters unless there are special circumstances that demand it, such as a couple of 1920's that I routinely service that have exceptionally weak hydraulic pumps, or the steering filter on 35 series and TL series tractors having priority valves that make self-priming of the pump difficult.