3-Point Hitch Hydraulics's ?? Ford 601 Workmaster 3pt Lift

/ Hydraulics's ?? Ford 601 Workmaster 3pt Lift #1  

kevopro

Tractor
Ford 601 Workmaster
I'm a newbie, so if I'm in the wrong place just tell me where to post... and all help is appreciated!

Ford 601 workmaster,the lift wouldn't raise at all, checked fluid, someone poured diesel fuel in there, drained it all out, put new hydraulic fluid in her... 134d i think.. pulled the allen bolt plug off the pump and poured some in there, started her up, bled the pump at the Allen bolt hole, lift now raises, but it's a little jerky and a little slow. when you raise the handle all the way up the lift will raise a grader blade, but not all the way up only around half way, with nothing on the 3pt hitch, you can raise the handle up and the lift will raise almost all the way up, then you can push down on the handle about 1 or 2 inches and raise it up again and the lift will fully extend but only without weight. So... any Clues where to look now.

/ Hydraulics's ?? Ford 601 Workmaster 3pt Lift
I looked at it again and the pump had lost its prime, so i undone the allen head plug, reprimed it, and it worked like before.... guessing its the pump.... do they make a rebuild kit for it... any clues?????

/ Hydraulics's ?? Ford 601 Workmaster 3pt Lift #3  
I know they make rebuild kits for the 600 ....... series, Try an ebay search.

/ Hydraulics's ?? Ford 601 Workmaster 3pt Lift #4  
loosing prime can be easy or hard.

easy is what I'd check first.

the plumbing between the trans and the pump is a manifold.. there are orings on either side.. and they can leak.. cnh makes a special square cut oring that needs to be used. generic kit orings are not advised.

13$ will get an oring kit to cover the top cover inculding the gasket and the piston oring and backup washer.

i reccomend pulling the top cover and repalicing the piston oring / washer, and checking the cam follower pin.. it and / or the cam sound worn..renew the pin and fix the cam if it is ground down ( weld a bead on it and grind it back to contour.. the cam usually only wears on a half profile so there should be metal there for you to get the cam profile back to normal..

then refer to a service manual and use the alternate adjsutment procedures to adjust the lift.

this could be a 2 hr job if you hav ethe oring / gasket kit, a set of wrenches, a welder, a bench vise and the manual...

clean the sump while in there too..

soundguy

/ Hydraulics's ?? Ford 601 Workmaster 3pt Lift
Well,...... I rebuilt the pump, then I replaced the o'rings on the piston and ect... but i wasn't sure what you was talking about when you said the cam follower pin? But it does the same lifts good, but looses prime still.... Help Me if Can

/ Hydraulics's ?? Ford 601 Workmaster 3pt Lift #6  
losing prime like that, after a pump rebuild, assuming you replaced the plumbing / manifold orings with the correct CNH orings, usually indicates pump shaft seal issues.. likely wear on the shaft that a new seal won't fix, not by itself anyway.

cam follower pin is just that.. same as the cam which is on the cast piece the 3pt rockshaft passes thru.. fairly easy to se when the cover is off.. just rotate the 3pt upper arms and notice a raised machined surface on it that a linkage with a dowel rod rides on.. both the dowel and the cam wear.. the cam is soft cast, and the dowel is hard, and usually does not ride the full width of the cam surface.. thus you usually have a witness mark left with which to weld up the cam then grind down. the dowel is a 2$ part.. though a 5/16 drill bet stem from a broke bit usually makes a nice candidate..

soundguy