Shuttle shift slips out of gears

/ Shuttle shift slips out of gears #1  

Ruben Perez

Tractor
Ford New Holland 2120
Have a New Holland 2120 with shuttle shift trans. Been slipping out of gear. Suspect turtle/rabbit switch and/or shuttle shift switch. Cleaned them out and appear to be working. Odd thing is, tractor engages and runs well for about 20 minutes, then starts slipping out of gear. Shutting engine off for a few minutes, then starting up again works, then moments later, slips out of gear again. Any thoughts?

/ Shuttle shift slips out of gears #2  
Welcome to TBN. :)

/ Shuttle shift slips out of gears #4  
I am a new member of this forum on behalf of my father. I saw this older post and thought I would touch base to see if you have discovered a solution. We have a 99 New Holland 2120 4cl 4x4 low hours tractor with Hydrostatic drive. It has had one electrical problem while under warranty which was repaired. For some time we have had intermittent problems with the hydro transmission. It was worked on by a dealer ($1000) about two years ago but the problem has persisted and is getting worse. It now unpredictably will go into neutral in any speed, load, or terrain for as long as 5minutes and unpredictably slam into gear. It is dangerous and is not to be trusted in difficult circumstances.

/ Shuttle shift slips out of gears #5  
I have the same exact problem on my 99 2120 the dealer replaced the shuttle shift switch cleaned all grounds. Still has the same problem $400.00 later.
He suggested it might be the shuttle shift module $500 + labor but no guarantee. What did they do for your $1000.00 bill? Are there any soultions yet? It started slipping out 2yrs ago, happened twice in 12th gear transporting baler, last year 6 times any gear forward & reverse. The Last 2 month this year about every 20 minutes of operation all hydraulics work but 5 minutes later it will function again or sometimes jogging the loader valve it will go into gear.

/ Shuttle shift slips out of gears #6  
They just changed the oil and filters in the system--included a factory front loader and pickup and delivery. Now I suspect the pump but I am "gun shy" on my dealer.
bd

/ Shuttle shift slips out of gears #7  
I am having the same problem. I only lose forward, reverse works yet. I had the clutches out and they were fine. I am going to check for a voltage lose at the solenoid.

/ Shuttle shift slips out of gears #8  
I have a thought for any of you with this problem. I've never worked on a 2120, so I'm not familiar with its control system, but I have worked on many brands an styles of electrically controlled transmissions and shuttles. Try this: attach a volt meter to the fwd solenoid wire at the post on the coil. Sturdy enough connection so you can operate the tractor for a while and not lose connection. A meter won't affect the operation or confuse any controllers involved, but it will tell you what the system voltage is to the coil during normal operation. It will also tell you what that voltage is when your failure occurs, assuming you can get it to fail while still hooked up. When failure occurs, the volt meter will tell you if your problem is lack of signal(reduced or 0 voltage), or valve/clutch pack related(consistant voltage and no clutch engaged). If it's signal related and you're quick enough, you may be able to back track with the meter to determine where the signal disappears.

/ Shuttle shift slips out of gears #9  
I found the problem yesterday. I put the volt meter on it and drove it. After abouyt 40 minutes it would act-up. the voltage would drop to 0 and the tractor stops. Further diag found the HSS module mounted upside down. It had a inch of water in it. I ordered a new module today.$425.00.....OUCH!!

/ Shuttle shift slips out of gears #10  
DONE!!! FIXED!!!! The HSS module was mounted upside down. Water got in it. It was ruined. I replaced it at a cost of $437. It work perfect now.