Hydraulic Pump Seals - My turn to cry

/ Hydraulic Pump Seals - My turn to cry #1  

jinman

Rest in Peace
Tractor
NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee
I started my 1700 hour TC45D this morning to do a bit of boxblading and levelling an RV parking pad I'm building. After I paused at the end of the pad and backed up, I noticed a puddle of oil on the ground.:thumbdown: I looked under the tractor to see the crankcase breather tube was running a tiny but steady stream of oil. I shut off the tractor and checked the engine oil level immediately to find it was 2-1/2" over the full mark on my dipstick; probably at least two quarts over-full and smells like hydraulic fluid. RATS! It's my turn to have my hydraulic pump rebuilt. I called my dealer's service manager and asked him if he can repair the pump seals if I bring him the pump? He said sure. That way I won't have to haul the tractor in. It will probably be a few days before I get a chance to take off the pump, but that's what I'll do. I recently was using my rock bucket to move some really big rocks where I'm excavating my pond. That was probably the stress that caused the seals to blow.:(

/ Hydraulic Pump Seals - My turn to cry #2  
As my grandfather used to say "It happens in the best of families"......

Hope it doesn't sting too bad.......

/ Hydraulic Pump Seals - My turn to cry #3  
Let us know how it goes... I would have hoped for a few more hours than 1700??? Something like 4700!!!

/ Hydraulic Pump Seals - My turn to cry #4  
That sucks, take some photo's to post so us rookies might learn :)

/ Hydraulic Pump Seals - My turn to cry #5  
I started my 1700 hour TC45D this morning to do a bit of boxblading and levelling an RV parking pad I'm building. After I paused at the end of the pad and backed up, I noticed a puddle of oil on the ground.:thumbdown: I looked under the tractor to see the crankcase breather tube was running a tiny but steady stream of oil. I shut off the tractor and checked the engine oil level immediately to find it was 2-1/2" over the full mark on my dipstick; probably at least two quarts over-full and smells like hydraulic fluid. RATS! It's my turn to have my hydraulic pump rebuilt. I called my dealer's service manager and asked him if he can repair the pump seals if I bring him the pump? He said sure. That way I won't have to haul the tractor in. It will probably be a few days before I get a chance to take off the pump, but that's what I'll do. I recently was using my rock bucket to move some really big rocks where I'm excavating my pond. That was probably the stress that caused the seals to blow.:(

Sorry to hear that Jim:(:(. I'm guessing it might be shaft seal that is on pressure side of the pump volute (pressure chamber) that is failed. I reckon you got nothing to lose by opening the pump up for a postmortem after you take it off the tractor. I don't think the pump is damaged beyond repair.

Good luck:)

jc

I just checked NH website and it is single pump as you know. Geometry is pretty much like mine on 1700 that I have overhauled. I'm sure the overhaul kit is readily available.

/ Hydraulic Pump Seals - My turn to cry #6  
Sorry Jim, sure sucks to go take care of one project and find another one preempts that work.

/ Hydraulic Pump Seals - My turn to cry #7  
Jim, Does your tractor have a remote auxiliary with detent, such as used for a backhoe? I've run into this pump seal failure a few times, each one of those had a detent, with nothing connected to it, and the lever got accidentally pushed into detent which cuased the hyd oil to overheat and fry the pump seal.
Could have been from running over relief too much with the rock bucket, but jsut wondering. Also check hydraulic oil cooler for debris, if it has one.

/ Hydraulic Pump Seals - My turn to cry
Jim, Does your tractor have a remote auxiliary with detent, such as used for a backhoe? I've run into this pump seal failure a few times, each one of those had a detent, with nothing connected to it, and the lever got accidentally pushed into detent which cuased the hyd oil to overheat and fry the pump seal.
Could have been from running over relief too much with the rock bucket, but jsut wondering. Also check hydraulic oil cooler for debris, if it has one.

My tractor has three remotes, but they all return to neutral when released. If they stick, my 3PH will not work. I used my tiller the last time I used the tractor and again just before noticing the leak. The tiller raised and lowered normally with the 3PH as I used it. I think the seals were popped when I struggled with one rock so big I had to give up after 15 minutes of trying to lift it enough to scoot it over the ground. I couldn't even roll it. The seal is leaking slowly and slowly filling up the engine crankcase.

/ Hydraulic Pump Seals - My turn to cry #10  
Cool :)