1720 Ignition Switch

/ 1720 Ignition Switch #1  

Turbys_1700

Elite Member
Tractor
New Holland t4.75
I've read a lot of information during a search on ignition issues with the switch on some of the NH compact tractors. My 1720 currently has an intermittent issue with the ignition switch. So far, I have been able to get the tractor to crank.

First issue: The plastic ring that holds the switch in place is broken and the switch turns inside the ring holder while you try to start it. Last week I unbolted the sheet metal and was able to hold the switch with my hand and turn the key. The tractor did start up eventually but this was after repeated attempts to fire her up.

Issue #2: Sometimes, turning the key on will result in nothing but if you hold the key in the on poistion she will eventually fire up.

Does this sound like a new ignition switch is needed or is this a grounding issue?

Many thanks for any input.

/ 1720 Ignition Switch #2  
sounds like it is already broke. Change it.

/ 1720 Ignition Switch #3  
Does this sound like a new ignition switch is needed or is this a grounding issue?

Many thanks for any input.

sounds like you should have repalced the key switch when you had the metal off.

a test lamp or vom would have conclusively told you what you needed to know.. that and a jumper wire set.

even if onl;y for the fact the ring is broke and it turns I would have replaced it..

soundguy

/ 1720 Ignition Switch #4  
Intermittent non-cranking can also be caused by safety switches going out, ie clutch switch etc. While intermittent problems are a pain to trouble shoot replacing parts with no improvement can get expensive.

/ 1720 Ignition Switch #5  
thus jumping out a switch you think may be causing it is a cheaper way to go till you pin it down.. etc.

soundguy