Ford 1700 - Voltage Regulator replacement

/ Ford 1700 - Voltage Regulator replacement #1  

cptmike

Tractor
Ford 1700 4wd
Let me apologize up front for the length of this post. It's my first and I'm afraid I may have gone a bit overboard.

I've been fixing up my dad's old 1700 4WD. It's got over 2800 hrs and has been ridden pretty hard. From the advice I learned on TBN I've already changed out all the fluids. It still has a myriad of problems... but I want to focus on one at a time. The first one is an electrical issue.

The tractor always had a problem with the battery running down. The fix was to always pull the negative terminal off the tractor when you get finished for the day. My dad always said it was probably the voltage regulator. But I knew there must be a short or something discharging the battery, so I went through and traced out all of the wiring. I compared it to the diagrams in my shop manual (another whole story there...). I found an issue with the wiring going back to the hazard lights. Later on, I found that the alternator had a direct short from the A terminal to ground (which may or may not have been directly related to me accidentally reversing the polarity of the leads from a battery charger momentarily - the charger was unplugged at the time). I replaced the alternator with a Duralast 14105 from Autozone (I tried like heck to split the old alternator but could not for the life of me). New new one seems to be nearly identical. No more short.

After replacing the alternator I found that the voltage was not being regulated. I took readings of over 15.5v at the battery. The voltage kept increasing as I increased engine RPM. I determined that my dad was right - the regulator was bad. I searched online for a regulator (PN SBA185516030) and found several sites selling an aftermarket one, PN S.70579 made by Sparex. Upon receipt of the new VR I noticed that its construction was different from my old one. It had only one resistor, while the old one had 3.

OK. We're almost there. So I installed the new regulator, cranked up the tractor, and took voltage readings. Everything seemed great. I was happy to see readings from 14 to 14.5 volts even at around 2500 RPM. Just as I was patting myself on the back, I noticed little wisps of smoke from behind the fuel tank. I groaned and shut off the engine. Pulled the tank and looked at the regulator. I could see some discoloration in the metal near the resistor, but nothing else that looked burned. I mulled it over for a while. I talked myself into thinking that maybe it was just some manufacturing coating that was burning off. Maybe it was normal? So I pulled the regulator out and secured it to the top of the instrument panel so I could get a closer look at it with the engine running. Cranked it back up and measured the voltage. Still all good. I expected to see the relays on top of the VR chattering as they maintained the appropriate voltage, but I could not see them move at all. About a minute later I saw and smelled the smoke again. The resistor was indeed very hot.

I began to inspect the regulator more closely. On the outside it actually more closely resembles the VR for a Ford 1300 (according to my shop manual). Now, my shop manual also has the wiring schematic for the VR. My original VR matches it exactly. But the replacement one is far from the same.

1. Is it possible that the replacement regulator is supposed to be so different from the original? That they changed the internal wiring so much?

2. Is it possible that the VR is a red herring and the actual problem is the alternator I bought?

3. Do you have to polorize the generator when changing out regulators? I've read about having to do that on an 8N, but nothing on the 1700.

4. Anyone else run into anything similar?

Pics below of the old vs new regulators...

Attachments

• Regulators Back.JPG
    Regulators Back.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 6,229
  • Regulators Top.JPG
    Regulators Top.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 1,313
   / Ford 1700 - Voltage Regulator replacement #2  
I have had many problems buying new alternators for tractors and could not get them to work right. It seems they must be a perfect match, being the vintage of the 1700 you may be better off rebuilding it. One local I know gets $80.00 and gives a lifetime warranty.
But hold fast, if you can figure out the problems you will end up with a excellent tractor. I have a 1977 Ford 1600 with over 3,500 hours and it runs mint. The Fords seem to be very well built machines.

/ Ford 1700 - Voltage Regulator replacement
Thanks. I know it's a great machine. My grandpa used a 1700 on his ranch for years before my dad bought one of his own. Since he gave it to me about 7 years ago, I never did a thing to it but add fuel and clean off the radiator screen... I'll admit I didn't perform the maintenance I should have.

You know, the voltage regulator is such a simple little device... I wonder if I can't just adjust or fix the original one... I'll work on that tonight.

/ Ford 1700 - Voltage Regulator replacement #4  
I tried to search Auto Zone for a Duralast 14105 and could not find any info. Are you sure there is not an internal regulator in the alternator? Did you get a schematic with the alternator?

/ Ford 1700 - Voltage Regulator replacement #5  
I don't have much to offer as you know what your doing. Have you ever researched to use a simple AC Delco Alternator with solid state internal voltage regulator? I don't know if the battery cares how it get charged. Might need to make a mount which is doable.

JC,

/ Ford 1700 - Voltage Regulator replacement #6  
But wiring the alternator will be different between an internal and external regulator.

/ Ford 1700 - Voltage Regulator replacement
Caliche, I looked through the documentation that came with the alternator. There is no schematic, but there was a tech help web site listed, www.onlinetechhelp.com that allowed me to search for the PN 14105. Several models came up, and I picked the one I have. It states that it's a Hitachi alternator, has an external regulator, and is rated at 35 Amps. I believe it is a nearly perfect match for the original equipment, except that I think the original was only 20 Amps.

JC, you're probably right... it would have been easier to just get a combo unit... But I'm not ready to do that just yet. I just don't get why the new VR that supposedly replaced the original is so different. I went ahead and had the NH shop order one they recommend so I can look at it.

In the mean time, I figured out the component that is bad on my original regulator. There's an "open" resistor in series with the sensing coil. That's not allowing the relay to chatter to maintain the appropriate charging voltage.
I plan to replace it, but I don't know what the resistance is. There's a marking on the bottom that says "EK8". I figure it's a low resistance and only there to drop the current a bit. Unless some other adventurous 1700 owner wants to open up their regulator and measure the resistor for me :laughing: I'll probably just try a 10 Ohm 1W or something to see if it works.

Pics below of the resistor and the regulator wiring diagram...

Attachments

• Old Regulator.JPG
    Old Regulator.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 1,327
  • Regulator Diagram.jpg
    Regulator Diagram.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 8,918
   / Ford 1700 - Voltage Regulator replacement #8  
I measured 31 ohms for this resistor on my VR. I have the same 1700 with an external regulator. I hooked my battery up backwards, and started the tractor. It seemed to run just fine, but zapped the rectifier diodes. VR looks fine.

/ Ford 1700 - Voltage Regulator replacement #9  
I had a local alternator shop install a new alternator a couple of years ago and they installed the external regulator shown here attached to the alternator. Haven't had a minutes trouble with it. Tractor is down now while I am waiting for a new water pump to arrive. Jerel
IMG_1196.JPG

/ Ford 1700 - Voltage Regulator replacement #10  
This looks like a solid state regulator. Is it? What model alternator is this? Thanks.