Valve Clearance procedure

/ Valve Clearance procedure #1  

mostly_gas

Tractor
in-between tractors
'79 Ford 1700. My shop manual says to set them cold with engine off. Owners manual says to check the clearance with engine idling, both give the same clearance.
Which is correct? And if I should do it with engine idling, anything I should know before shoving a feeler gauge in?

/ Valve Clearance procedure #2  
'79 Ford 1700. My shop manual says to set them cold with engine off. Owners manual says to check the clearance with engine idling, both give the same clearance.
Which is correct? And if I should do it with engine idling, anything I should know before shoving a feeler gauge in?

I have noticed both and elected to do it it cold, thinking since the clearance is the same for both valve the relative expansion for both would be the same when hot.I did not actually end of loosening the nut and readjust as it was right on the money cold. This discussion on 1700 valve adjustment was brought up before with mix response. There is a special tool was needed to do it hot and be able to do it safe , adjusting and tightening while oil is being sprayed all over the place:eek::eek:

JC,

/ Valve Clearance procedure
Thanks again JC! I was going to go the cold route unless one of the tractor service guy said otherwise. It would have bee nice is the manual had mentioned the special tool. :D