TC 35 won't turn over.

/ TC 35 won't turn over. #1  

jrghoosier

Tractor
New Holland TC35
I was searching Google for safety switch problems on a New Holland TC35. The threads have been helpful. Most are saying the neutral switch and the seat switch. I have (2) white wires and (1) orange wire going into the seat switch. Do you just cut the plug and wire all three together? I am ordering a new neutral switch from PartSpring as advised. Appreciate all the help I can get! Thank you in advance! Jeff Greene

/ TC 35 won't turn over. #2  
The message right at the top of this page labeled "sticky TC33 won't start" addresses most all your testing procedures. You might be wise to read this first. good luck Frank

/ TC 35 won't turn over. #3  
I have (2) white wires and (1) orange wire going into the seat switch. Do you just cut the plug and wire all three together?

Wait up there Jeff! The neutral safety switch will stop the engine from turning over, but the seat safety switch WILL NOT! Before you jump off the deep end and spend a bunch of money, how about checking fuse #2. As a matter of fact, turn on your ignition switch and see if the PTO light is illumnated on your inst. panel. If it is, I guarantee you that you need to replace fuse #2. You can bypass the neutral sensing switch with a simple alligator clip jumper wire to check if it is the problem.

Just to be sure, THE SEAT SWITCH WILL NOT STOP THE ENGINE FROM TURNING OVER with the starter. All the seat switch does is de-power the fuel cutoff solenoid and shut off fuel. The starter will turn over the engine, but it won't fire because there is no fuel.

Please don't Easter Egg your tractor. That can cost a lot of money and time and just lead to frustration. We can help you here if you can do some minor troubleshooting.

/ TC 35 won't turn over.
Thanks for the help! I can jump across the solenoid an the starter cranks. Will not do anything if not jumpered. Tractor won't start though, even though I can turn the engine over. Replaced the upper left relay that I had trouble with before...no luck. All the light come on the instrument panel. The headlights work. New battery. Got to be a sensor somewhere. Held down the PTO sensor, but still wouldn't start or turnover.

/ TC 35 won't turn over.
Looking for fuse #2 in the schematic.

/ TC 35 won't turn over. #6  
Looking for fuse #2 in the schematic.

Fuse #2 is the one that feeds power to your fuel cutoff solenoid and the operator present safety system. You should be able to find it without much difficulty in the schematic.

It sounds to me like you could have a bad ignition switch. There are several things that can happen, but you have to eliminate them one at a time. If you jumper around the neutral sensing switch and the PTO light is NOT illuminated, then there could be another electrical problem that is causing the tractor not to start: ignition, relay, or bad wiring. Before you tear into the relays or ignition, let's check the seat switch if you don't mind.

An easy way to check the seat switch is to put the tractor in neutral and pull up on the parking brake handle. With the parking brake handle up and the parking brake light illuminated, the tractor should start if you jumper the starter and force it to turn over. Again, with the tractor in neutral and the parking brake set, the seat switch is bypassed. If the tractor starts, get into the seat and release the parking brake, If the tractor dies, your seat switch is bad and needs to be replaced or bypassed. That's the easy way to check it without using a meter.

/ TC 35 won't turn over.
Thanks Jim! The storms have died down and will get out and try what you have recommended. My TC35 doesn't have a parking brake handle...just depress the brake pedals and lock on the floor. No PTO light in the dash either. Just a glow plug light, water and oil light indicators. They all light up and the glow plug light goes out in about 20 seconds. Tried to jumper across the starter and it would turn over, but would not start.

/ TC 35 won't turn over. #8  
Well, since I have the TC35 in my Repair Manuals along side the Deluxe models, I'll look and see if there is something I am missing here. I'll keep checking this thread with updates based on what I find.

/ TC 35 won't turn over.
Appreciate it Jim.

/ TC 35 won't turn over. #10  
Yes, your tractor does NOT have a parking brake light nor a PTO light on the dash. Those two lights are only on the Deluxe models. However, if you set your parking brake and the range lever is in neutral, the seat switch is bypassed just like I said in the previous post.

Since you don't have the tell-tale PTO light to indicate fuse #2 is blown, I suggest you should take out your instrument panel with the two screws and remove the 2nd fuse from the left to check it. All functions of the fuses are the same on Economy and Deluxe model tractors. Your fuse #2 being blown will give the symptoms you are having whether you have either model tractor. It's an easy check and may get you back to operating in a hurry if that is all that is wrong. Some tractors have an 8 amp circuit breaker in that position instead of the fuse, but my tractor had an 8 amp fuse. Most of us just know that it will blow once in awhile on these tractors. It's such an easy thing to check that it's the first thing to look at if your range lever is in neutral, the PTO is off, and your tractor won't start.