ford 3400 stalling when hot

/ ford 3400 stalling when hot #1  

joescott

While pulling a 2 bottom plow for about an hour the tractor acts likes its not getting any fuel, runs rough, then quits. Happened twice, restarts after cooling off, cleaned fuel filter, didnt help. any ideas? Thanks, Joe

/ ford 3400 stalling when hot #2  
While pulling a 2 bottom plow for about an hour the tractor acts likes its not getting any fuel, runs rough, then quits. Happened twice, restarts after cooling off, cleaned fuel filter, didnt help. any ideas? Thanks, Joe

I'm not familiar with your model of tractor so i'll assume it's a diesel. How did you clean the fuel filter? Most of the fuel filters I'm familiar with are canisters and they are not renewable. You have to replace them. Make sure that you don't have something clogging the tank outlet that restricts your fuel supply and that all your fuel system fitting are tight so they don't suck air.
Have you made sure the air filter is not clogged? Was there any indication of overheating?

/ ford 3400 stalling when hot #3  
gas or diesel there where be a big difference in what the problem could be between the two

/ ford 3400 stalling when hot
Its a gas engine, Thanks

/ ford 3400 stalling when hot #5  
Its a gas engine, Thanks

Gas engine! Big difference!

Check the coil for overheating. If you have a 12 v system, Make sure that you coil is ~ 3.2 ohms in primary resisitance. there are so callled 12 V coils out there that require (in fine print) a resistor in series with the coil to limit current to ~ 4amps max. If you have a coil with less then ~3.2 ohms, the current will be prortionatley higher and that can cause the coil to over heat in 30 to 60 minutes. The insulation melts and the coil shorts internally, and shuts the engine down. When it cools the insulation again works so the engiine starts and runs only to shut down again.

/ ford 3400 stalling when hot #6  
I think Jerry is dead on with it being an electrical issue. I looked in my shop manual for the 3400 and it did not show a resister in line before the coil but it does come through the voltage regulator to the key and then to the coil. You may want to check the voltage regulator when it dies again. I would also check the condensor, It will give you the same results when hot if its bad. One method to test the condesor is to look at the color spark from the plug at operating temp. If it's blue the condensor is good. If it's orange the condensor is bad. I would also check the points and vacuum advance.

thanks for the direction to go in, The coil is a little rough looking so I bought a new coil from carquest. Just replaced condensor last summer. Because of all the rain we are receiving (3" in 3 days) i will not be able to plow again for a while. when i can get out there i will update, thanks again, Joe

/ ford 3400 stalling when hot #8  
look at your fuel line routing; you could be vapor locking do to fuel line too close to hot manifold, etc.

/ ford 3400 stalling when hot #9  
at stal does it still have spark? if not.. check.. if yes, then look at fuel.

soundguy

Finally had chance to plow again. stalling problem remains, I put in new plugs and new coil. A local napa dealer thought the 10% ethanol gas we now get could be the problem, I filled the tank last fall for snow plowing, It ran fine then, but apparently you cannot store this type of fuel without it seperating and absorbing water. Any thoughts on this being the problem. Thanks.