TC18 Starting Problem

/ TC18 Starting Problem #1  

BuzzyG

Bronze Member
My 2003 TC18 with 350 hours suddenly won't start. The glow plug light does not light, and at times, the other dashboard lights don't even come on. When they do come on and I try to crank it, they don't come on the next time I turn on the ignition. There is not starter action at all when I try to crank it, and only sometimes do I get a clicking sound from the relays.

The lights don't work at all, and everything except the sporadic dash lights (oil and battery) seems dead.

I have had the battery tested for voltage and short, and it is good. I get the same readings from the cable ends as I do at the battery terminals, so I don't think it is the cables or corroded terminals, but I have also cleaned the terminal connections at both ends of the battery cables.

I am really stumped. All suggestions will be gratefully received.

/ TC18 Starting Problem #3  
It does sound like an intermittent connect such as bad cable, bad ground, battery terminals etc. Recheck everything as connection can look better than they really are. Another possibility is a battery post coming loose.

/ TC18 Starting Problem #4  
check connections at main fuse, usually located by starter. Make sure your ignition switch is good.

/ TC18 Starting Problem
I have the ignition switch out. How can I test it? Or how can I test the tractor to see if it starts by going around the ignition switch.

Thanks

/ TC18 Starting Problem
BTW - I replaced both battery cables and completely cleaned the posts and other connections.

/ TC18 Starting Problem #7  
My 2003 TC18 with 350 hours suddenly won't start. The glow plug light does not light, and at times, the other dashboard lights don't even come on. When they do come on and I try to crank it, they don't come on the next time I turn on the ignition. There is not starter action at all when I try to crank it, and only sometimes do I get a clicking sound from the relays.

The lights don't work at all, and everything except the sporadic dash lights (oil and battery) seems dead.

I have had the battery tested for voltage and short, and it is good. I get the same readings from the cable ends as I do at the battery terminals, so I don't think it is the cables or corroded terminals, but I have also cleaned the terminal connections at both ends of the battery cables.

I am really stumped. All suggestions will be gratefully received.

If the battery is good and the cables are new and the connections are good, that leaves the key switch, the solenoid or the starter OR an interlock (pto enaged, seat switch, clutch switch transmission switch, etc). Check the ground also.

/ TC18 Starting Problem
How can I test any or all of those?

/ TC18 Starting Problem
seat switch, clutch switch transmission switch

I know nothing about these.

/ TC18 Starting Problem #10  
seat switch, clutch switch transmission switch

I know nothing about these.

Jumper them one at a time. When you get the bad one, the tractor will turnover. You can check th starter switch by turning to different positions and measuring the voltage between the battery connection on the switch and the various lugs.