3-Point Hitch Newbie Question on 3 Point w/ post hole digger

/ Newbie Question on 3 Point w/ post hole digger #1  

BoomerBaby

Tractor
New Holland TC55
Got a newbie question here and could use a little advice. Might just be a little ignorance on my part about my tractor.

I've had my TC 55 for awhile now but have never used the PTO. I've pretty much just used the hoe and FEL.

So today I come home with a new County Line auger from Tractor Supply. Got some fence posts to set. It all goes together quite well actually. Not a bad unit, especially for the price.

Go to try out some test holes and here comes the discovery...

Seems that it is only the weight of the auger that is pushing down. I sort of expected that I would be able to exert some downward force on it when I lower the 3 pt. It digs an okay hole, but not very deep. The auger's downward progress is easily stopped at only maybe half the auger depth. I suppose the soil is harder at the bottom of the hole and without much downward force (just the weight of the auger and it's gearbox, boom, etc.) tehe holes just don't go very deep. My 3 pt. is not exerting any downward force. So my holes are sinking not nearly as far as I thought they could -- maybe 18" or so.

Several decades ago I recall when I had hired a guy with a mid-sized tractor to drill some holes for me. We had hardpan. And I remember him pushing down so much on the auger that the rear wheels of the tractor both came off the ground. Lots of downward force and smoking auger cooled with water from a hose. Anyway, I am don't have hardpan where I am now, so I'm not looking to get the rear tires off the ground or anything like that. But I thought at least I should be able to exert some downward force with the 3 pt so that I'd have more than just the weight of the auger pushing down.

So I'm wondering if my 3 pt is somehow set to float and if there is a way to lock it somehow so it will actually push down and not just float. I've looked all over for some control or lever I may not have been aware of.

So... can I exert downward force with my 3 pt? Or is that just the way it is?

Thank you for any sage advice.

BB

/ Newbie Question on 3 Point w/ post hole digger #2  
there is no downward pressure exerted on a 3 point hitch. NONE.

I had to add an hydraulic assist unit to my auger, and I'm about 3/4th of the way done with it. I have a speeco unit, and the company sells a hydraulic down force kit that exerts about 150# of down pressure on the unit. If you exert too much you can bend the unit.

If you have real hardpan materials, they make different style teeth for the augars, but there spendy. They also make add on weight kits for most units. You add cinder blocks to the units.

They also make front loader mounted post hole diggers, but they are way expensive.

Attachments

• 24b8cbf79c40e110bb682267e5d6ed6b.JPG
    24b8cbf79c40e110bb682267e5d6ed6b.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 2,757
   / Newbie Question on 3 Point w/ post hole digger
Interesting. Well that's a little disappointing. :(

And thank you for helping with my tractor education.

BB

/ Newbie Question on 3 Point w/ post hole digger #4  
If your ground is anything like here in Branson, Mo. the max I could dig is about 12 inches with anything. we hit limestone shelf all the time sometimes way less than 12 inches. In one of your 18 inch holes. get a digging bar and throw it in the hole, and listen/feel for the big old rock shelf you are sitting on. There may be sparks and smoke if you hit it hard enough:laughing: There were a few older tractors that had/have down pressure, and 1 Russian tractor I can think of that does, but 99 percent of modern tractors have no down pressure on the 3pt. I am just guessing what you have of course, but some quick investigation will reveal the problem. The good news is there is nothing wrong with your tractor.:thumbsup:

James K0UA

/ Newbie Question on 3 Point w/ post hole digger #5  
the idea of the breaking bar reminds me that sometimes when my digger stops going down, i hauled it up, broke up the hole with the bar for a bit, then tried to re-dig with the machine. alot of times this worked to get the full depth hole.

/ Newbie Question on 3 Point w/ post hole digger #6  
Got a newbie question here and could use a little advice. Might just be a little ignorance on my part about my tractor.

BB

I am going to assume when you say Newbie that you are! So here is my :2cents: worth!

If you are having trouble digging holes, BY NO MEANS,:shocked: AND I MEAN BY NO MEANS:eek: have someone try to Ride the PHD down by adding their weight to the implement! That puts them in very close proximity to the drive shaft which could result into a very bad accident!:confused3:

If needed add a bracket to the beam and add blocks or barbell weights.

JUST KEEP SAFE My Friend!:thumbsup:

Ah yes... this is all making a lot more sense now. And yes, it's nice to know there is nothing wrong with the tractor!

I'm in the foothills of the Sierra. Topsoil is thin in spots but at least most of the rock I hit tends to break up into small chunks. Will try the breaking bar method on those holes.

Some other holes have rock shelves that are pretty solid and was expecting to have to mostly jackhammer those anyway.

Great forum guys and I appreciate your thoughtful replies.

BB

Appreciate the cautions!

Yeah, I could imagine something really sudden and bad happening if somebody was too close to the driveshaft or auger. And I bet it's happened way too many times.

Thank you,

BB

/ Newbie Question on 3 Point w/ post hole digger #9  
It could be how the PHD or your lift points are set up, is your 3pt all the way down when auger is only 1/2 way in? Take the auger off the power head then lower 3pt down. If the power head won't come close to touching the ground you need to adjust position of the A frame on PHD farther back on the boom, or change lift link connections on 3pt arms to go lower.

/ Newbie Question on 3 Point w/ post hole digger #10  
Just like a drill bit if the auger is spinning and not digging it will dull quickly. It may help to sharpen the cutters and run the auger slowly.

If you have an old barbell set you can cut the end off the bar and weld it to the phd and slide the weights on that. Might want to drive pretty slow with all of that weight wagging on the end of the implement.

My Belarus has downforce on the 3ph and it is great with the phd. The other thing to watch out for is when the ground is soft and the auger wants to screw in instead of digging. The only reverse on the PTO involves a pipe wrench and cheater bar.