Oil & Fuel 1965 Ford 5000

/ 1965 Ford 5000 #1  

rockagibraltar

Last night I was able to identify the model tractor I have through the kindness of a member on this website. It's a 1965 Ford 5000 diesel 8spd.

A neighbor of mine was nice enough to give me a tractor and I would like to put it to use. I know that I do not want to start it before I change the fluids & filter, but I am unsure of what to use. It seems that the fluids are low and old, plus when it is running the pto is always turning even when it's supposed to be disengaged. It turns very slow when the lever is in the off position, but I think it may be because it needs fluids. Idk?

I need to know what type of oil and transmission fluid to use, I also need to know what type of filter to put on it. The person who gave it to me didn't seem to be a real stickler for proper fluids and filters, so that is why I am here. I spent most of the day looking for a manual on the tractor, but was unable to find one.

I would appreciate any help or advice that can be helpful.

Thanks,

RC

/ 1965 Ford 5000 #2  
Last night I was able to identify the model tractor I have through the kindness of a member on this website. It's a 1965 Ford 5000 diesel 8spd.

A neighbor of mine was nice enough to give me a tractor and I would like to put it to use. I know that I do not want to start it before I change the fluids & filter, but I am unsure of what to use. It seems that the fluids are low and old, plus when it is running the pto is always turning even when it's supposed to be disengaged. It turns very slow when the lever is in the off position, but I think it may be because it needs fluids. Idk?

I need to know what type of oil and transmission fluid to use, I also need to know what type of filter to put on it. The person who gave it to me didn't seem to be a real stickler for proper fluids and filters, so that is why I am here. I spent most of the day looking for a manual on the tractor, but was unable to find one.

I would appreciate any help or advice that can be helpful.

Thanks,

RC

You're obviously new to tractors so the best advice I can give you is to get the manuals. Try Tractor, Implement & Equipment Manuals, Books and Videos - Jensales, ebay, or just google "Ford 5000 manuals" etc. and try to get a factory manual not an IT manual. Reprints should be available if the originals are all gone. Get an owners manual as a minimum. It will have all the fluid specs and quantities. Your hydraulic system uses the rear axle for the hydraulic sump and that fluid also lubes the rear axle. It will us Universal Tractor Fluid(UTF) that meets Ford M2C134D specs. Most likely your tranny uses the same fluid but you'll need to verify these fluids requirements with somebody that has the same model tractor.

If you are going to do your own repairs then get the shop manual and the parts manual. I like the factory manuals be cause they give you systems decriptions that tell you how the tractor is supposed to work and that's helpful when you are troubleshooting.

As far as the pto turning when it's disconnected, if you have an independent pto that's' most likely due to the clutch plates being warped a little and transmitting a little bit of torque to the shaft. It's not a serious problem.

A New Holland dealer can get the parts or go to Home page and put in Ford 5000 and it will tell you the Wix filters that are used by your tractor. Take away the first Wix part number and that will be the equivalent NAPA part number. if you have a diesel tractor make sure that your air filter is clean wheher it's an oil bath or a a dual cartridge type. Most oil bath air cleaners have never been well maintained.

/ 1965 Ford 5000 #3  
yep.. utf fluid ( walmart or TSC or parts store generics ) are fine.. meeting the M2C134 spec is what you want.

for the engine, 15w40 C rated oil.. or perhaps 10w30 C rated oil if in arctic areas. just be sure it is a C rated ( diesel ) oil.

spin on oil filter is a 8$ job from the dealer.. i think the # is 86546614, though a fram ph8a, supertech st8a or motorcraft fl1a, or napa 1452 and a 1515 will fit it.. etc..

soundguy

/ 1965 Ford 5000 #4  
...spin on oil filter is a 8$ job from the dealer.. i think the # is 86546614, though a fram ph8a, supertech st8a or motorcraft fl1a, or napa 1452 and a 1515 will fit it.. etc..

soundguy

If it is the original cartridge type engine oil filter (a cylindrical container with a hexagonal head screw at the bottom) you need WIX #51279.
WIX has got a good look up function on their website:
WIX Filters : Filter Look-Up

/ 1965 Ford 5000 #5  
ch14pl if fram, and 1279 if napa.. both are the cartridge style, if that is what it uses..

soundguy