TC35D noise normal?

/ TC35D noise normal? #1  

joekubota

Tractor
B3200
I recently purchased a used TC35D from a dealer. The machine has 450 hours on it. Of course it was only used by a little old lady to ride to church on Sunday so it is in good condition!:laughing:

Seriously, the machine seems to start, run, and operate well. The biggest flaw is that it is a 2001 and was stored outside. I do have one concern that is really bothering me. There is a noise coming from the left side of the tractor that I can not locate. It is intermittent and fairly low volume and sounds like a whine. It appears to be rpm independent. I originally thought it was a stuck bendix on the starter but I don't think so now. The dealer insists that it is the hydraulic pump and that "it is a characteristic of this particular model". The machine is hydrostatic with a 16la loader. As you can see from my login, I have owned other brands and never heard this noise.

Can any owners or other dealers comment on this? Have you heard such a noise? Is it common or should I be concerned?

Other than that one noise the only other problem I have is that it is very difficult to slip into or out of 4wd. I'm hoping that loosens up with use. Guess you can't expect "new" at used prices!

Any help is appreciated.

Joe

/ TC35D noise normal? #2  
My 2005 TC40DA HST with 400 hours whines, my Boomer 8N CVT does not. My dealer service guys say this is a normal sound for a HST. When I do shift out of FWD, which is rare, I do it at a very slow crawl. Only time I am out of FWD with both tractors is if I am on the paved road going somewhere to help somebody out.

/ TC35D noise normal?
Thanks for the reply. That helps some.

I just read another thread in a 1520(?) with a "tick". My whine might be considered a tick by someone else so I read the whole thread. A comment was made about the "check valve" on the HST filter. Now if I can locate that, I can give it a listen!

Anyone know where it is located?

/ TC35D noise normal? #4  
When I first start up mine has the tick on the left side low by the starter. I thought at first it was the starter bendix not disengaging. It goes away after a few minutes. Still don't know if it is the starter or the HST check valve. I have not gotten off to exactly locate the sound after I start up.

/ TC35D noise normal? #5  
Thanks for the reply. That helps some.

I just read another thread in a 1520(?) with a "tick". My whine might be considered a tick by someone else so I read the whole thread. A comment was made about the "check valve" on the HST filter. Now if I can locate that, I can give it a listen!

Anyone know where it is located?

The HST filter is right in front of the left foot rest/pedestal and between the loader's sub-frame and the engine. The checkvalve is right on top of the filter. Also, the new filters have an internal pressure bypass so the filter will not blow out if the pressure gets too high. HST system pressures can be as high as 200 psi + in this area and some filters have blown out rubber gasket seals in the past, especially in cold weather.

If you want your 4WD to disengage like a hot knife through butter, just put down your FEL bucket and pop the front wheels into the air a tiny bit. That will relieve the tension on the driveline and allow the FWD to slip out of gear effortlessly. If you don't have an FEL, drive slowly forward on gravel or dirt and move your steering wheel left-right as you put pressure on the handle. You can also try this method in reverse. The problem is the front wheels don't exactly turn the same as the rear wheels. This causes the driveline from the transmission to the front differential to twist ever so slightly. It's called driveline "windup" and is common on lots of models of tractors of many different colors. Smaller tractors don't have the problem as much as larger ones, but even my 4WD Kawasaki Mule gets driveline windup when I leave it in 4WD for very long.

/ TC35D noise normal? #6  
My 2005 TC40DA HST with 400 hours whines, my Boomer 8N CVT does not. My dealer service guys say this is a normal sound for a HST. When I do shift out of FWD, which is rare, I do it at a very slow crawl. Only time I am out of FWD with both tractors is if I am on the paved road going somewhere to help somebody out.

I operate my Kioti DK35 HST in 2WD unless 4WD is required. I may be mistaken but I think it results in less wear and tear.

Just wondering how others operate their 4WD tractors.....

Last edited:
   / TC35D noise normal? #7  
When I do shift out of FWD, which is rare, I do it at a very slow crawl. Only time I am out of FWD with both tractors is if I am on the paved road going somewhere to help somebody out.

I live in southeastern Ohio Appalacian Hill country and rarely use my 4wd. Waste of fuel and driveline wear /tires. Only time I use it is in mud or snow.

Not a regular occurance and I try not to let this happen but I have been on hillsides so steep the left side of the tractor started bobbing off the ground or when going up hills the front wheels comes right off the ground and I drive up on 2 rear wheels (with the Brush Hog dug in the rear).

I have never noticed any difference between 2wd and 4wd on these hills.

/ TC35D noise normal? #8  

I believe when you are discussing 2WD vs 4WD, it would be far clearer if you stipulate that your tractor has no loader and has AG tires instead of R4s. That really defines your situation better and helps to clarify why your experience with only needing 2WD is much different than many of us with FELs and industrial tread tires. Here is a link to photos of your tractor.:):thumbsup:

/ TC35D noise normal? #9  
I live in southeastern Ohio Appalacian Hill country and rarely use my 4wd. Waste of fuel and driveline wear /tires. Only time I use it is in mud or snow.

Not a regular occurance and I try not to let this happen but I have been on hillsides so steep the left side of the tractor started bobbing off the ground or when going up hills the front wheels comes right off the ground and I drive up on 2 rear wheels (with the Brush Hog dug in the rear).

Sounds like you need some weight in the front end. I'd start with the NH suitcase weights.

I've found that it's relatively easy to get out of 4WD simply by moving very slowly forward and as I lift my foot off the hydro pedal, move the 4WD lever at the same time. You have to be on level ground (or even a slight downhill grade), but it doesn't seem to matter if I'm on pavement, gravel, grass, etc. Only place I haven't tried this is in a plowed field. It seems as if at the moment I lift my foot off the pedal, there's a little forward momentum to the tractor and for that instance, no load or tension on the driveline. On occasion, it might take a second time, but pretty much never more.

/ TC35D noise normal? #10  
My 2000 TC35D also whines from the HST; but only until normal operating temperatures are reached. In fact I use it as an indicator of such! Not sure if that's really what's going on but ...

Going to swap out all the hyd fluids this weekend or next and install new filters. Will let you know if the sound persists.