small anti freeze puddle

/ small anti freeze puddle #1  

greenthumb

Silver Member
Tractor
tc40, exmark lazer Z
I went out to the barn yesterday after not being out there in over a week, to discover a puddle about three inches around of anti freeze just about directly under the oil filter /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. after checking the fluid level in the radiator it looks fine. I then did some more looking and above the oil filter there is a inlet from the radiator going into the engine block it looks like it could of come from here. Has anyone ever had this problem. I haven't got the warrenty book out but would this be covered. I have only had the tractor since november of 2001 and it has less then 60 hours on it. Could the cold have caused the hose which is rubber to expand/contract. we had below 0 temps for a few days early in the week.
thanks

/ small anti freeze puddle #2  
We started seeing this on the latest 1920's and 1720's. The factory apparently has run out of thread sealant to use on the block drain fitting. Temperature changes and the different expansion rates of the engine block and drain fitting cause a small leak. I would expect your dealer to re-seal the fitting under warranty, I have done several. I have cut a slot in a 26MM deepwell socket to quickly remove/ install the fitting; does that tell you how common this is? Keep an eye on the coolant level, make sure the leak is from the threads and not the hose connection. If coming from the threads, there is little danger of catastrophic coolant loss before a repair can be made.

/ small anti freeze puddle #3  
There was a thread on this last year about this time- A small leak. I had the fitting replaced with a new one and it hasn't leaked since. The new fitting part number is SBA198736150. It's the same shape as the old one with the hose fitting on the side. The new one is a darker gray than the old one was. Parts and labor were covered by the 2 year warranty. Transporting the tractor to the dealer is not usually covered.

/ small anti freeze puddle
By the way this is on a tc40. thanks for the help.

got my tractor back today. they replaced the leaking fitting with what is mentioned in the above threads from awile back. The fitting has a valve on the end and the hose outlet. I am curious as to what the valve is for however, I didn't ask at the dealership just wanted to load it up and get home since it was 12 out with below 0 wind. do I need to ever use the shut off on the valve?

Well back agian to the small leak. Had the tractor in a few weeks ago and he replaced the fitting with one that has a valve on it I don't have the part # with me that is on the service order. Everything seemed fine for the last few weeks no leaks then last night again we had mother nature turn on the cooler and we went down to -12 overnight (it's March already) and noticed tonight that the very small drip is on the bottom of the fitting agian at the threads. anyone else had this happen after they replaced the fitting?

/ small anti freeze puddle #7  
Greenthumb: mine has been repaired 3 times at that fitting,about a week ago I also noticed a puddel on the shop floor,called the dealer and they are tired of hearing me complain. Mine seems worst whenit is very cold,after warmin up the tractor and using it the fitting is dry. I dont know why this is a problem,I had the thing all but fixed before the tech even arrived,but it is there problem,not mine. I dont know about you but when I pay for a new tractor that is what I want-good luck. Grainger

/ small anti freeze puddle #8  
wow, went to start up my 33D that's been in storage since Nov and .........................puddle of anti freeze underneath. Great timing guys! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ small anti freeze puddle #9  
If your dealer is tired of hearing you complain, tell him to fix it correctly. My experience has been there is nothing at all wrong with the fitting; I have never replaced one, or had a repeat failure. It is simply a matter of using the proper type and quantity of thread sealant. no more, no less.

/ small anti freeze puddle #10  
What kind of thread sealant did the dealer use? If it is a liquid or paste type, it could harden or shrink under extremely low temperatures. This type of sealant usually is designed not to harden and or crack. This works fine unless you expose it to really low temperatures.

I have always had better luck with teflon tape. It's available anywhere and leaves no mess. The only time teflon tape has ever failed was when the threads were not matched on the fitting (wrong thread pitch).

I recently tried a new product that claimed to have solved these temperature problems, but it only lasted 3 weeks and leaked again, I removed the fitting, cleaned out the sealant and replaced the fitting with a few wraps of teflon tape, no more leaks. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just a suggestion.