New Holland 270 Square Baler Knotters

/ New Holland 270 Square Baler Knotters #1  

aj2n

Tractor
New Holland TL80
Hey I've got a 270 square baler that I just bought about a month ago. i've never worked a square baler so all the mechanics and what not is pretty much like a foreign language. I've always worked with roll balers. I've got a problem with the knotters getting clogged up and holding a ton of twine around the little bill hooks. then it will string out loose ends of twine out the rest of the chamber. I've gotten one side of the tying deal to work, but I don't know what I did to fix it. If any one has any publication scans that they can hook me up with that'd be awesome. And any input you can give is greatly appreciated. Again I'm very new to square balers so as many details as I can get are of great help.

Thanks yall

/ New Holland 270 Square Baler Knotters #2  
the knives that cut the hay may be part of the problem or you need to to increase the tension on the twine holders so they can hold it enough for the knoves to make a clean cut.

Poor quality twine that is inconsistant in thickness is often the problem of many baler knot failures.

/ New Holland 270 Square Baler Knotters #3  
I have a NH 310. Built between 1971 & 1980 The knotter has been the same since the 40's right up to today's units. Get yourself two books. A manual for the 270 and a NH knotter service manual. Then you'll be able to learn the language and have the specs for baler adjustments. Otherwise, you'll just be wrenching in the dark. (literally, after the hay is down and you've spent the day fighting the baler)

The bill hook is likely full of twine from multiple knot attempts.

Clear it off and try again.
Is the:
1.Knot hanging on the bill hook?
2.No loop on the end of twine delivered by needle?
3.No loop on end of twine held by twine holder?

/ New Holland 270 Square Baler Knotters #4  
As hosspuller said get the factory manual. It gives the complete sequence to time the baler and set all the parts to factory specs. It can be almost anything that is causing the problem.

A friend fought with a 268 baler one whole summer and had intermittent problems all along, poor bales, and then finally bought the book and the baler now does great.

Ebay has them for $15-20 or less.

/ New Holland 270 Square Baler Knotters
Hey guys thanks for all the added ideas. They all helped out quite a bit. I sat in the field for quite a while, and finally got the knotters to tie every time (about 5 or 6). But as soon as I started rollin through the field it started catching the knots in the bill hooks again. Makes good knots, they're just getting caught in the bill hooks.

Also, thanks hosspuller and sweep. Got both of those on the way. Again, thank you both for you help.

/ New Holland 270 Square Baler Knotters #7  
Bend the wiper arms until they have positive contact with the billhook. Sounds to me like the completed knot is not being wiped off the billhook properly. Don't let too much twine build up on the billhook. Too much and it will break the jaw (the part that moves up and down to accept the twine pairs).

/ New Holland 270 Square Baler Knotters #8  
make sure the billhooks are smooth before bending or adjustments... Simple and easy things first. Abrasive cloth will help with rust and pitting.

hey guys thanks for all the great advice last year over the summer. After buying a manual and getting extremely frustrated, I've decided to try and buy a new replacement wiper arm for the baler. any suggestions where i can buy one or a set? I've got one that came with the baler but they seem to be doing the same thing that the original did.

and if you were wondering how i baled last year, I got pissed off enough i just borrowed a family members. thought i'd fight that battle another day.